Looking for help in Lease


I'm looking for the possibility of hiring a Landman familiar with the Reeves Cty, Tx area. I'm currently in negotiations for a very small mineral rights, (.5 acre), with MDC, representing my mother's trust. Based on recent research, and helpful comments from the forum, I have made requests and am getting close to a final deal.

I'm wondering what a Landman would charge to look over the lease (we can't afford a formal lawyer), to make sure my requests have landed in the lease, and make possible recommendations?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thank you,


This is so kind of you, John, I will send it when the revision arrives. Hopefully in the next week or so.


We have land in Reeves County Texas. As far as we know we only have surface rights. We have been contacted by a landman representing an oil company that wants to run a survey for the purpose of running a pipeline across our land. Before we say anything we want to find a trusted landman to represent us. Any suggestions?


Ask for email requesting survey permission with name of pipeline company, size of line, and specific section and block to be surveyed. If you own multiple tracts, limit permission to single tract. If you run cattle or even if not, you can set limits on type of vehicle and speed, gates to be locked at all times etc. This way you have some information to start.

Justin, My family owns land and minerals in Reeves County. We needed assistance and contacted Buddy Cotten. It was the best decision we could have made. He was extremely knowledgeable and very helpful. I have gone thru transactions like this before without help and it was a mistake. Do yourself a big favor. Call him. I think you will find him very fair and approachable. Best of luck. Buddy Cotten (409) 313-3570

C Apple,

Thank you. You are the second high endorsement for Mr. Cotten. I have scheduled a phone conference with him.



Thank you for this advice.