Looking for a Landman in Colorado County, Tx

Received a notice of intent to conduct seismic surveying on my 20 ac in Colorado County, Tx (purchased in 2000 and 2004). Based on what I can tell from the title work done at that time, minerals were severed somewhere in the title chain so it doesn't appear that I own them, but was wondering what it would take to research and determine the current status of minerals ownership/leasing under my property. Looking for a general sense of the level of effort and $ to do so.

Any help/input would be appreciated.

Thanks

email me some info & I might be able to help

(EDITED by ADMIN - Use the private messaging system for contact information)

Although I dont know any landmen in your area, you should be able to find someone to help you by contacting the American Association of Professional Landmen. It is the national association for landmen, they can point you to someone in your area. Here is the link.

http://www.landman.org/wcm/aapl/

Field landmen usually work for a set amount per day plus expenses. Your title search shouldnt take more than a day.

Are you in Colorado County? If so, you should be able to visit the County Clerk’s office and search the public records there to follow the custody chain on the various warrenty deads pertaining to your property.

No. Don’t live there, just have some weekend acreage. Also not all that familiar with what is (and is not) relevant to the question, which is why I thought a CPL would be the right person since that is their business.

DJG said:

Are you in Colorado County? If so, you should be able to visit the County Clerk's office and search the public records there to follow the custody chain on the various warrenty deads pertaining to your property.

Here is a site that posts landmen looking for work in various states. Check out the people working from the Houston area, this will keep the travel expenses lower for you. I dont personally know any of these folks, but I would look for those with title experience, are CPLs or both.

Good luck

http://hirelandman.com/

James - Just did a preliminary check this evening & I see where you bought the 8 acres from Stremped in 2004 & I pullled 6 deeds up the chain - most of the reservations were made by different people when your tract was part of 562 acres. Tthe bad thing is that the minerals are likely now owned by a number of different people so I doubt you could buy them all out. The good thing is there are so many you might be able to buy one out if desperate for money. As you likely know there have been a number of leases on the property but they may have all played out. The 12 acres I wont go into & I didnt try to look up addresses of possible owners tonight as I believe this will take more time than I can spare,

I plan to go out to the courthouse to check on some of my own mineral interests in about 10 days & I thought I could maybe figure out your situation in a couple of hrs but now think it might take me all day there & I dont have the time. Sorry

James Price said

No. Don't live there, just have some weekend acreage. Also not all that familiar with what is (and is not) relevant to the question, which is why I thought a CPL would be the right person since that is their business.

DJG said:
Are you in Colorado County? If so, you should be able to visit the County Clerk's office and search the public records there to follow the custody chain on the various warrenty deads pertaining to your property.

Appreciate the info. Pretty much as I suspected flipping through the abstracts as part of the original title work when we bought the acreage. So basically, minerals are scattered throughout..