Long lost gas/oil rights in Garvin County

I remember when I was little growing up in Northern California, my grandmother would telle about well rights that her grandfather had started and passed down to her father. In 1992 she passed away. In 2015 my mother passed away. While going through her things I found a box of my grandmother’s old papers…marriage certificates, death certificates, my grand father’s Naval discharge papers from 1929…and low and behold an envelope in my grandmother’s writing that said “dad’s oil well papers”. Original well papers dated back to 1965, with updates in 1983. Royalty “check stubs” from the 70’s and 80’s (none amounting to much at the time) and no idea what to do or where to even begin to do anything. I now live in Missouri, so if I had to road trip for paperwork or documents I could, but I abs oo am clueless with this. The papers give the S/T/R and property #, as well as showing it is in Garvin County. Anyone have a clue where I should begin? I did try an unclaimed property search but nothing…course none of them had an Oklahoma last known address either so that may have been futile.

Welcome to the forum! If you will post the section, township and range, we can tell you if there has been additional drilling on the section. Then the next step will be do get the title changed to the proper heirs. Richard Winblad has quite a few forum posts regarding that topic for Oklahoma probate situations.

Thank you! S/T/R is 27-2N-3W. If I’m figuring right, and there’s a good chance I’m not :joy: its around 80 acres? S2 SE4. I appreciate all the help in figuring it out. All in my great grandfather’s and my grandmother’s are all deceased so there’s no “elders” to ask about it. And then my mother and all her siblings are gone as well so clueless as to where to even look into things is an understatement!

Do you have a further breakdown on the location within the section? Example, SE4 or something like that. Or do you have the names of the wells that were paid on before? There is a bit of production in the section, but it will be limited to the acreage within the spacing.

Did the G-Greats pass the acreage to your mother or are there multi generations without wills?

Go onto www.okcountyrecords.com and look up every name you can think of that might go with the acreage. You might even find more. It is free to look and only costs a small fee to print. That will get you started. The online portion may only go back to the early 1990’s but occasionally you get lucky.

Yes, as I stated it is S2 SE4. And yes, as far as I know, multiple generations without wills. The original papers from 1965 show my great great grandfather’s name for “unit known as” which is AJ Kinkle. In 1983/84 there is division papers to his children, which then included my great grandfather…for his division from that point on there is no known wills.

OK let me hunt down the wells in that quarter section to see if any are still in pay status.

What is your great great grandfather’s name and I can hunt in another source to see if there are any sales.

We can help get you on the right path.

AJ Hinkle well had last production in September of 1978, so nothing for that part.

What well was on the 83/84 Division order?

Jennifer Creed, was your relative Jap Hinkle?

I’m not sure. The more I look, the more I can’t figure it out. So…on the division order, which us the same well as I stated previously (I don’t know if there are others) Hinkle is on there, then a bank, then all of the heirs to my GGGrandfather, James Henson…notes my grandma made can link every person on the division as a child, or grand child of James…except for one really odd name that she said was absolutely not a family member and not known to anyone, Arnold Park. Also two of the daughter’s last known contact is an “in care of” to the same Arnold Park. Which does seem weird since her notes make it very clear of no known connection to the family, and EVERYONE after Hinkle on the division is as I said, a direct descendent of James Henson. Haven’t been able to find the connection between Hinkle and Henson though. My grandmother as well as the previous two generations according to birth certs were born there in Foster so who knows how far back into the history of the area we go. The cool added to it, is that until I for digging on this, I’ve had a lot of blank spots in family history! As far as not producing since 1978 that could be accurate, the old Texeco pay stubs that she had of my GGrandfather’s from early 80’s were all minimal…less than a couple dollars. She had told me when I was little and she talked about it, that “…if they ever uncap those wells we own…”

Oh…I did find on the search tool, an heirship filing on the James Henson Est by an Opal Wasson, which is a granddaughter of James’ to his son William that passed prior to the division order, so on his share she is listed. BUT the heirship she filed on isn’t for the location I have papers on, so it makes me wonder if there’s more family wells out there I don’t have papers on! Lol this is becoming quite the Nancy Drew event!

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.