Locate mineral rights in Wood County

How would I find the legal description of mineral rights that I inherited in Wood County, Texas. I am unable to read the copy of paperwork I have in hand. The paperwork I have is titled "DESCRIPTION EXHIBIT in Wood County, Texas. I can make out Geo W Watson Survey, but in another part of the paperwork J. F. Keneyard (sp I cant’t read it). However I can reedT. S. Willis (who was my great grandfather) by deed dated November 18th, 1914, and recorded in Book 65 page 244 of the deed records of Wood County.

Who/what government organization do I contact to get this information. I was told that in July someone had contacted one of my relative and was trying to locate heirs for a possible lease. However since my relatives didn’t respond right away, apparently they lost interest in leasing. I am having trouble getting information about this due to age of my relatives and their personal issues at this time.

Thanks, Jolene Cowan

Good Morning Jolene. Contact the Wood County Clerks office and I’m sure with the info. you have they will be able to help you.

Capture

Thanks! I think I found this information about 5 minutes after I posted. I tried online and that didn’t work so I’ll have to give them a call.

I called the county clerks office and they informed me that their records only go back to 1920 and the information I have is dated 1914. They said I would have to do a title search. However, if I am patient, I may eventually the the information from one of my relatives. Apparently this has been leased in the past, but we missed out on the most recent lease interest in July.

Jolene, I sent a map and some other information for you to use and forum administrator for some reason wouldn’t let it go through. Your minerals are in G.W. Watson Survey/ Section 170/A-608. Maybe someone else can post a map of your minerals location and they will let it go through.

Jolene Cowan:::::::Wood Co. Tx. Section 170/A-608/G.W. Watson Survey

Capture

DOUBLE LEFT CLICK TO ENLARGE MAP

If you set up a free account on TexasFile or CourtHouseDirect you can do free searches of records. On TexasFile I found an oil, gas, or mining lease filed 08/15/1921. The lessors were Sallie Willis and RL Willis with the lessee being Golden Oil Co. The reference info says “multiple properties see instrument.” You could preview this document for $2.00 or purchase it for $3.00 and see if the the Geo W Watson survey is included in the list.

Jolene,

Were you able to secure someone to assist in your mineral research? I am looking for someone who can help me with a similar issue.

Thanks,

John

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.