Local Oil & Gas Attorney

OK, so it appears that “curative” is required to properly vest our deceased parent’s mineral rights on a section in Richland Co, MT .to my sister and myself. Anyone suggest/recommend an O&G atty who is familiar with this region? Is it best to seek out an atty who is practicing in the area, or does that matter…we are actually in Denver.

Dear Mark,

The curative generally entails commencing probate proceedings which should be conducted by an attorney licensed to practice law in Montana. Often attorneys whom are experienced in probate are not experienced in oil and gas law, however. You are correct to be seeking an oil and gas attorney, but he/she does not need to be located in Richland County. Due to the nature of oil and gas interests, oil and gas attorneys are usually licensed in multiple jurisdictions. By conducting a general search for Oil and Gas Attorney Wyoming you should come up with a few oil and gas law firms with locations near the border to Montana that will be able to assist or at least provide a quick consultation as to what to expect in terms of process and cost. Good Luck!

Thanks for the reply, we will be using Patrick Beddow from a firm in Billings, MT. Will report back here how our issues are resolved!

Mark:

Most attorneys who practice probate should be able to clear up title for you if it is a garden variety matter. An O&G attorney may be needed if reviewing leases or checking on improper deductions. That being said be sure to ask questions. Once title is established the companies producing need to be contacted. If the firm includes O&G as well as probate & estate planning, that is probably a fairly good fit. I’ve worked with the Bryan firm in Bozeman or Harkins in Billings. Best of luck to you.

This post is not legal, investment or tax advice, it is for discussion purposes only. Reading or responding to this post does not create an attorney-client relationship.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.