Legal claim on rights?

My siblings and I have mineral rights through my mother when she passed. We were notified of a potential contract and were told by my Aunt that we will be required to sign once everything is in order and we would be notified. Some time has passed and I inquired to her about it. I was told still waiting on the landman. However, that wasnt the case. Money had already been exchanged to her and her sister, omitting my mothers offspring. My questions are obvious. What should we do? How should we proceed? Who do we contact?

You aunts could only lease their own interest and get paid. They cannot lease your interest unless you gave them permission to do so. I would make sure that that the probate or affidavit of heirship (depending on the state where the minerals are located) is on file with the land records.

Has either your mother’s Will been admitted to probate or an heirship proceeding or an affidavit of heirship been completed? If none of these were done, then not surprising you have not been paid. Suggest you hire a probate attorney to review situation and advise you.

You might have a better chance of getting response to your questions by posting the State and County your mineral interest is located in. You might also try going to the “Counties” section at the top of this page and then go to the part of the forum related to the State and County it’s located in to post your questions.

What information do you have about the mineral interest your mother owned? If you don’t have copies of the deeds in the chain of title to that interest then checking the deed records in the county where it’s located might be a logical place to start.

If your mother’s estate was probated you may need to file copies of that probate in that county, or affidavits of heirship if there was no probate, to bring the title into you and your siblings names.

Regarding the contract you mentioned, do you know if it was to purchase or lease the mineral interest? Have you tried talking directly with the landman or company who contacted your Aunt, or is she unwilling to give you their contact information?
Negotiating as a family group may be the most productive way to handle things but everyone in the group needs to know what is involved.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.