Leg direction of well?

Anyway to identify the direction a leg will be drilled while a well in "confiential" status. Spud date was in early January. Wells are listed on NDIC site, but i would like to find out what sections they will cross.

Sometimes the name of the well will tell you. Sometimes it won't. If the name is something like Betty 4-9 it's probably drilled in section 4 south into section 9. With so much offsite drilling and multipad drilling sometimes you can't tell. If you let me know where it is, I'll give it a try.

File No CTB No API No Well Type Well Status Status Date DTD Location Operator Well Name Field 24126 124126 3301301695 Confidential SWSE 19-160-93 OASIS PETROLEUM NORTH AMERICA LLC MELVIN 6093 43-19H GROS VENTRE 24138 124138 3301301696 Confidential SWSE 19-160-93 OASIS PETROLEUM NORTH AMERICA LLC INEZ 6093 43-19H GROS VENTRE

AD, Oasis sure does not make it easy. The name and numbers mean nothing to me. I do have an opinion based on an observation of what Oasis has done in other spacings in the area. My money would be one leg north and one leg south because there are 3 recently drilled spacings in the area where Oasis did just that. Sorry I can't offer more than that.

R W,

Looks like you may be correct on this. We just received paperwork to receive payment on ONE well and not two. I hope Oasis and others start to fill some of these sections up.

How did you get the spud date on your "confidential" well? There is a permit for a second well on the pad where we have mineral rights and I would like to find out if it has been spudded (is that a word?).

Spud dates can be found for ND wells on the NDIC website using there GIS Map Server. Search under "Find Section". Put in your Section and the map server with bring up the wells (Regardless of confidential status). Once you click on it the well information contains the spud date.
Gail Varenhorst said:

How did you get the spud date on your "confidential" well? There is a permit for a second well on the pad where we have mineral rights and I would like to find out if it has been spudded (is that a word?).

I have the section search complete and it shows the two well numbers and the township and range but no other information comes up when I click on the confidential well's number. I will be the first to admit I have limited success using the GIS Map. Thanks for your help, AD.

If you are bringing up the wells on the bottom of GIS screen there should be a column in the line item to the right of the name that say “Spud Date” if it is not there then maybe the bit has not hit the ground yet.

Gail, AD is correct, the well has not yet been spud.
Gail Varenhorst said:

I have the section search complete and it shows the two well numbers and the township and range but no other information comes up when I click on the confidential well's number. I will be the first to admit I have limited success using the GIS Map. Thanks for your help, AD.

Thanks again guys, that's what I was afraid of. I will feel more confident that there will be a second well when they actually start it. Now I see on the daily reports that Petro-Hunt has renued the permit for that well.

r w kennedy said:

Gail, AD is correct, the well has not yet been spud.
Gail Varenhorst said:

No problem. Best of luck to you!

We are on our third lease and not even a bite in Burke Co. They are all around us but not on ours.

Would it be wise to contact the company or companies that are drilling next to us?

You can try, but the landman we have spoken too says they will find you when ready. Of course with govt shutdown dont expect much right now.

I am looking at an artical from last year. I am still following what was said. Been going to GIS screen and searching in Find Section: this is what I get...

PermitStatusBeforeSpud.zip 71.5 KB 6/3/2014 12:53:09 PM

To me this says nothing. The wells have been on confidential list since 6/26/2013. Have the wells spudded or not?? I have read Statoil is very slow but very good?? Should these wells be coming off confidential list soon or could this be a lot longer.

AD said:

If you are bringing up the wells on the bottom of GIS screen there should be a column in the line item to the right of the name that say "Spud Date" if it is not there then maybe the bit has not hit the ground yet.

The Inez runs south to north and has been in production since March 2013. the Melvin runs north to south and has been in production since March 2013. Both are good producers for the area.

All permits for wells are confidential so the well goes on the confidential list as soon as it is permitted. The true confidential period does not begin until the operator asks for it, usually when they reach total depth. The operator need not ask for confidential status and I think some wells have thereby slipped through the cracks. On the confidential list, a well will not have a date at which it comes off confidential status until it is drilled. Wells come off confidential staus all the time these days without having been frack / completed. A couple years ago I had two wells off confidential status that were not fracked for another 9 months. The operator had been drilling like mad to hold spacings and didn't have money to complete any wells until they got a 600 million dollar loan. Bear some of this in mind.

The Melvin File 24126 runs south to north, has been in production since march of 2013 and has produced 49188 barrels of oil. The Inez file 24138 runs north to south, has been in production since March of 2013 and has produced 69953 barrels of oil.