Leasing with Turner Oil & Gas

Anyone had any problems leasing through them? We have a few landowners for a property they are leasing, so thankfully we have kept in touch. One person is getting something in the mail, the other never does. We find out it was lost in the mail, but no one from the company contacts you. It’s like the right and left don’t talk and there are no checks and balances in the office. Landman is great. I guess he doesn’t know when things aren’t getting to us or happening. Do I contact someone else in the office or check in weekly?? Help! We are past the 45 day mark for payment, but I get they need to do a thorough title checks. I just don’t want to pester, but I’m ready to get paid for my lease.

This is usually a common thing US wide, when there are different mineral owners on the same tract. It starts with incomplete work by a lease broker or a company. Owners are sometimes hard to locate. If you can call the company, even if they will answer, you might get some action.

Turner Oil and Gas has been around for a long time. Stay on top of the landman.

Unfortunately, it is really important to not hand over a signed lease without getting paid that day. I have a third party hold my signed lease (attorney or accountant) and send a scan copy of the lease with magic marker saying COPY DO NOT FILE on every page to the landman. When the title work is done and the check shows up, the original lease is handed over to be filed.
Depending upon the state, the landman can file the lease even though you have not been paid and it is considered valid. Some folks never get paid, so be cautious the next time. And always keep a copy of everything that you have signed.

You may have signed an agreement for the timing of your payment. I have seen some draft payments letters that could stretch out the timeline to payment for six months or more.

2 Likes

I have copies of every lease or documents I’ve signed since the late 1970’s. Even if they have expired. They are in a safe and most are backed up.