Leasing in Leon co tx

I’ve been approached by Surprise Valley Resources LLC to sign a lease in Leon co tx. They don’t appear to be a production company. More of a management company of some kind. I figure they want to lease me and sell it to an oil company. Does anyone know if there is a new surge in leasing or drilling there ? If so, what is the going price per net mineral acre ? Thanks,

1 Like

I’ve not emailed a “curmudgeon” before :- ) Welcome to the Leon County interest group. I looked up Surprise Valley and it appears they employ landmen to find mineral rights owners. In my case, the 1st landman to make contact was somewhat like a genealogist who found me and other family members through our aunt’s will. He was the go-between certifying the mineral owners for another company that made us an offer. Our family’s last lease with Hawkwood Energy expired in October of 2019. We have had no other offers and have not heard of any current leasing or drilling. Please keep us posted and good luck.

Marilyn, Thanks for your reply. It’s much appreciated.

Hello, to my surprise a Landman with Surprise contacted me today. My last lease in Leon Co. was in 2010 & I wish I could remember the amount. I don’t think I’m interested because of the 5 yr. term, 2 yr option.

Hi, Thanks for the info. Were you refused a three year term ? Thanks, Joe

What part of Leon County are they currently looking at? Thanks

My land is off 79S about a mile from the Navasota river. The landman asked for my cousins number. I think his land is close to Centerville

Do you happen to have a legal description for your property?

Sure, but do you mind if I ask why you want to know ?

Hi Joe & everyone! I didn’t try to negotiate anything. I was hoping to find my old lease from 2010 with Encana, but I know that lease was 3 years, 2 option. The location is in Marquez, Elijah Allen survey, A-41. At one time in the past 10 years, I thought $800 - $1,000 was the going rate per acre in the county of Leon. Was that a dream??? I know that’s not what I received in 2010.

I didn’t know I was that big. I guess activity would vary, but I don’t know why you want the info.

I am assuming the reason they want to know is because they can give much better advice based on what oil and/or gas plays may/may not be active in your particular area.

Ok. Thanks. I never thought of that.

And it could be that someone in the business is simply trying to identify you for a reason they’re not willing/wanting to be transparent about.

One must remember that a public forum (and especially one as popular as this) is trafficked by all stripes of people.

So I guess I made a mistake divulging the info ?

Not necessarily, i’m just saying (as I would anywhere) keep your eyes open and common sense on.

@fjonesiv Yeah, that’s it…

@acurmudgeon there doesn’t seem to be any recent activity in your area. There are wells surrounding this property drilled back in the early 2000s, so it’s possible they are looking to lease your property to potentially expand that production. I’d make sure you’re getting a 3 year primary term, not 5 year. Hope this helps.

Thank you!!! My initial thought was a 5 year lease would be too long to be tied in, but times change. Please let me know if there is a change in activity. Greatly appreciate the help!!!

1 Like

I’ve just been informed the the land I have is held in production so cannot be leased. I’ll have to check my old lease. Maybe my Pugh clause wasn’t written correctly or maybe it’s because the land was pooled. Anyway, just wanted to thank everyone for your advice and help. Joe

Hello everyone and Mr Sommer. Back in the 90s when Leon co was a hot area, I would guess bonus payments were a lot more than they are offering now. I know of only three people being offered leases including me. They have offered me $300 per net acre. Is that reasonable or low ?