Leasing Activity

Are there any mineral owners continuing to receive offers to lease these days? How much were you offered?

Perhaps you are familiar with "Courthouse direct.com/ LeaseAlert" which is a free program you can join to follow leasing activity in the counties you select. By joining you will receive monthly e-mails of all the leases recorded in the clerk' s office for the previous month and It shows the grantee and grantor names, the physical location, dates of the records, and a copy of the actual lease. However it does not show the amount of money paid for the lease. I find it very helpful as I have minerals on two farms in Dawson Co. but I live in East Texas and through this monthly report, I can keep up with activity out there. Leasing activity is very slow in Dawson Co as it is in most parts of the state and for the last year there have been only 12 to 25 leases a month compared with a hundred plus a couple years ago. As the price of oil keeps increasing leasing activity will certainly pick up but I don't think we'll see any more $500/acre leases for a long time, probably $100 to $200/acre. But I would sign one of those today if offered. Good luck, John

Thank you!!