Leasing activity in the central region of Sheridan County

From reading some of the posts here I get the feeling, that the general leasing activity has been slowing over the last year in most of Sheridan County.

I am very interested if someone could help me to get an understanding if this is so, and especially for the central region. I sit in Denmark and represent a group of Danish heirs on my mothers side for a small (75 acres) piece of mineral rights in Township 33 North, Range 56 East. Just east of HW16 and south of the 258. We had a lease on it some 25 years ago, and a short interest 2 years ago.

Mr. Sommerbirk:

You are correct in that the leasing activity in Sheridan County has slowed over the past year. Continued interest in the North Dakota drilling remains the focus of the drilling. Richland and Roosevelt Counties, located south of Sheridan County remains fairly active in regards to drilling and lease renewals. Looking at the area in Township 33N;Range 56East, appears Samson Resources has two horizontal wells in Sections 6&7, SM Energy Co. has one well in Sections 21&27, and Sinclair Oil and Gas Co. has one well in Sections 31&30. You might contact any of these operators and learn if they are interested in leasing your mineral area. I believe that Sheridan County will once again see additional leasing and drilling but this might occur in several years. Hope this info helps.

Hello Charles,

Thank you for your info and advice. I certainly think I will contact Sinclair and test our luck! Previously we had great benefit from the eser.org website, concerning well locations and operators, but it does not seem to be available any longer. One further question: We have our acres in section 25 and 30, so when Sinclair has a well in section 30&31, and with the widespread use of horizontal drilling technologies, could it actually be, that they are already pumping our oil?

Marcus:

First question, are these individuals currently leased to Sinclair? No wells in Section 25 but the lateral from their well does extend into Section 30. The name of the well is the Chisholm 1-3H. Production records from February through November indicates 22, 196 bbls. oil from this well. The well is producing from the Bakken formation. You need to contact Sinclair Oil and Gas Company and discuss this matter in detail. Also, is the mineral information listed at the County Clerk office in Sheridan County? You need to follow up on these matters and be sure to have the mineral deeds and info in hand.

Thank again Charles, I appreciate it. Currently no leases for the two lots, have had a short interest from a leasing broker two years ago, but it did not come through. Planning to make a trip over this summer, it IS a bit hard to follow all this from over here ))

Marcus:

You need to contact this operator soon and learn exactly what's going on. If these individuals were not properly registered with the County Clerk's office, possibly was unable to be contacted. Again, have all your paperwork in order before talking to them. You might even consider hiring someone in the area to handle this matter. I have had contact with a very knowledgeable oil and gas law firm in Plentywood, MT which is the location of the County Clerks office. If you need this info, I will be glad to look in my records and find it.

Marcus Sommerbirk said:

Thank again Charles, I appreciate it. Currently no leases for the two lots, have had a short interest from a leasing broker two years ago, but it did not come through. Planning to make a trip over this summer, it IS a bit hard to follow all this from over here ))

I have had some services done concerning the mineral deed by O'Toole Law in Plentywood, and have been very pleased with them.

Marcus:

I have dealt with them years ago but never for legal services, just good advice concerning my minerals. I have always heard nothing but good things about their work and they definitely know the area. As I stated earlier, if it were my minerals, I would contact someone immediately to evaluate what's going on in my area. Good luck.

I get the same impression. Our land is TWP 35 N Rge 55E. If you hear of any activity, please let me know. Jack Tucker jackfran@wowway.com

Thank you for a helpful discussion. We live in NC but were in Plentywood last summer doing some research on our family minerals. We were the only ones in the office. The clerk that was helping said the office would have been packed the year before. All the landman were gone when we got there. So, very slow. One person said there were a couple of wells that didn't come in as expected and that dried up interest. I look forward to it heating up again.

Bud:

I think that the Sheridan County area has potential but the timing is just not here but in the future. Operators are eagerly drilling in other proven areas in Roosevelt and Richland Counties along just across the border in ND. Object; lease HBP or multiple wells. Don't worry, Sheridan will be back in the picture again in the future. Many formations other than the Bakken could come into play.

I'm in the odd position of hoping the activity has slowed down a little because I'm the executor of an estate with several thousand acres of mineral rights scattered around Sheridan and Daniels Counties. There are about 40 parcels altogether, some of them contiguous. There is also surface interest in some of the parcels, and this property has been in my family for generations. Three leases in Sheridan have recently expired. I'm hoping I can come up with a valuation of the minerals for estate tax purpose that isn't wildly speculative or unreasonably high, and I'm anticipating that all the parcels will have different valuations depending on location.

I live out of state. Short of looking in the phone book, would any of you have suggestions as to how to find a reputable appraiser for this purpose, or know of someone who does this kind of work? Would this person need to be located in Sheridan/Daniels area or would someone in another state be able to do it?

I also also need a good law firm in Montana with both oil and gas knowledge and experience with probate and estate matters, to work with my attorney in California. We prefer not to use the O'Toole firm in Plentywood. I'm willing to go as far away as Billings for the attorney.

I'm new to this forum, and already I've learned much (and have much more to go!). Thanks for all of your contributions.

Rene:

I can provide advice on both issues you mentioned. First, I would contact Mr Gary Hutchinson (a professional O&G consultant) at 303-279-4113 in regards to your questions regarding the Sheridan and Daniels County areas. He will also be able to provide info on the valuation question. Second, I recommend you contact Laura Christophersen at 406-787-5700. She is based in Culbertson, Mt. and is great to work with. I have dealt with both individuals on a personal basis and you will be pleased.

Thanks for your prompt response Charles! I've passed the contact info to my attorney and she'll be in touch with both of these people. We want to come up with several names of people to talk to before we retain someone, so if there are any other recommendations we're open to those too.

Rene:

I will let you know if I think of anyone else but these two contacts are at the top of my list. Think you will agree. Good luck.

I wouldn't use the O'Toole "Law" firm either........yeah, law in quotes............

Mr. Sommerbirk, I suggest you learn to use the Webmapper on the Mt Department of Natural Resources site. There is much information to be gleaned from the Webmapper, more up to date than Eser ever was, more information than Eser gave and it's free. The information on Eser was almost certainly gleaned from the Mt DNR Webmapper and republished months to years late.

Marcus Sommerbirk said:

Hello Charles,

Thank you for your info and advice. I certainly think I will contact Sinclair and test our luck! Previously we had great benefit from the eser.org website, concerning well locations and operators, but it does not seem to be available any longer. One further question: We have our acres in section 25 and 30, so when Sinclair has a well in section 30&31, and with the widespread use of horizontal drilling technologies, could it actually be, that they are already pumping our oil?