Lease Review

I had landman look over a lease before I signed three years ago and now the lease is up for renewal. Since that time, I have tried to educate myself on what should be on a lease and have found that this lease may not have a Pugh Clause and does not state the depth they are drilling. Is there someone that you could recommend that could look over this lease again before I sign, just to make sure that everything is correct, but really don't want to go the expensive route in hiring an attorney. Do you have any suggestions. The lease is in Harrison County Texas. Sue

Hi Sue -

I am a Landman with over 30 years of experience in negotiating leases on behalf of oil and gas companies.

There are many issues that need to be addressed in negotiating an oil and gas lease - from term and royalty retained by the mineral owner to envionmental indemnity.

I advise that you have an Oil and Gas Attorney review your lease (and any other papers) before you sign anything.

Your State's Bar Association website should be able to help you locate Oil and Gas Attorneys in your area.

It will cost you a little money, but may save you from a lot of unnecessary frustration in the future.

Hope this helps -

Charles

Hi Mr. Charles:

Do you know of any trusted attorneys in the East Texas area preferably in the Waskom, Marshall, Longview area? I called one in Marshall and he never returned my call.

Charles Emery Tooke III said:

Hi Sue -

I am a Landman with over 30 years of experience in negotiating leases on behalf of oil and gas companies.

There are many issues that need to be addressed in negotiating an oil and gas lease - from term and royalty retained by the mineral owner to envionmental indemnity.

I advise that you have an Oil and Gas Attorney review your lease (and any other papers) before you sign anything.

Your State's Bar Association website should be able to help you locate Oil and Gas Attorneys in your area.

It will cost you a little money, but may save you from a lot of unnecessary frustration in the future.

Hope this helps -

Charles

Hi Sue -

I searched the Texas Bar Association's membership link for Oil and Gas Attorneys in Marshall and Longview, but for some reason didn't find any. That's got to be impossible, of course, so it must have been the way I searched it. You may have better luck.

I can offer you the names and contact information of two (2) Attorneys that I personally know and trust:

William Lake Hearne

Cook, Yancey, King & Galloway, APLC

333 Texas Street, Suite 1700

Shreveport, LA 71101

318-221-6277

or

Bernard B. Athey, Jr. [pronounced Bernerd]

Looper, Reed & McGraw

4600 Thanksgiving Tower

1601 Elm Street, Suite 4600

Dallas, TX 75201

214-954-4135

Either one of them would be happy to review your lease for you and I assure you they will return your calls.

Hope this helps - call me if you need anything more or just want to talk. Maybe I can find you a competitive bid for your lease.

Charles

Charles Emery Tooke III

Certified Professional Landman

Fort Worth, Texas

713-408-2850

fieldlandservices@gmail.com

Susan Butler said:

Hi Mr. Charles:

Do you know of any trusted attorneys in the East Texas area preferably in the Waskom, Marshall, Longview area? I called one in Marshall and he never returned my call.

Hi Sue -

Hope this helps -

Charles

Thank you Charles.

Susan Butler said:

Hi Mr. Charles:

Hi Sue -

Hope this helps -

Charles

Susan,

I've been very happy with our own Oil and Gas attorney, Eric Camp.

His firm is based in Ft. Worth, but Eric is abreast of what is happening in East Texas. He offered great service and insights during our own negotiations regarding a lease for minerals in the Haynesville/Bossier play in Shelby County, East Texas.

Here are Eric's contact details:

Eric Camp

Whitaker Chalk

817-878-0529

e-mail: ecamp@whitakerchalk.com

My partner's attorney is John Allen Chalk - I don't know Mr. Camp, but I've met Mr. Chalk and he is top knotch.

Charles

DJG said:

Susan,

His firm is based in Ft. Worth, but Eric is abreast of what is happening in East Texas. He offered great service and insights during our own negotiations regarding a lease for minerals in the Haynesville/Bossier play in Shelby County, East Texas.

Eric Camp

Whitaker Chalk

817-878-0529

Thank you DLG. I sent him an email, and hopefully he will repond, my lease expires 12/28/10.

DJG said:

Susan,

Eric Camp

Whitaker Chalk

817-878-0529

We aim to inject commercial nuance into our reviews. The reviews may also include checking to financial status of the proposed landlord.

---------------

find attorney