Lease renewal and bonus repayment

I signed a lease with TPR that’s dated march 31st 2017 for a 3 year term with the condition that TPR, or its successor, could extend the lease another 3 years and repay me the bonus. I realized this week that the 3 year anniversary of me signing the lease has passed. The well is up and has been producing for a year now, and I received a check just a few weeks ago, but I have not received a bonus repayment to date. Does the period of the lease start on the date specified on the lease or is it some other date like the date the well is completed? Should I reach out to Paloma who now has the lease? The check was supposed to come on or before the end of the lease via certified USPS so I know it didn’t vanish or end up at the wrong place. I want to make sure I understand the terms of the lease and renewal before I make an ass of myself.

Hard to say without seeing your lease, but generally if they drilled / started drilling operations, then the lease is extended without further payment. If there they did not an did not exercise the extension, then the lease expired. Keep in mind that is is general discussion and not legal advice.

1 Like

The extension for an additional 3 years would only come into play if they had not drilled a well during the initial 3 year term. The lease is considered “held by production” because they drilled a well and the 3 years have expired. You more than likely will not get an additional bonus, but will be paid on the production of the well.

1 Like

Ahhhh I see. I had a feeling I was misinterpreting the lease terms. Thank you both for the information.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.