Lease offer in 24-6N-3W McClain

I’m wondering if anyone else has been offered a lease in McClain County 24-6N-3W. I was approached by Kingdom Energy Partners out of Edmond. I can’t see that there’s activity on the OCC case log and it looks like just one well is active in the area.

On an aside, I was reading the Leasing suggestions on Mineral Wise about having separate leases for contiguous tracts. Does that mean that if I have a single deed showing that I own a 1/8 interest in the S/2, SW/4, NW/4 and W/2, SW/4 all in 24-6N-3W in McClain County, I should have a lease for each tract? Or if they are on the same deed they should be leased as a unit?

Ask the agent if the pending well is vertical or horizontal. The agent may not know. Most upcoming permits are horizontal, but not all. If horizontal, then I would lease the whole section on one lease. If vertical, then I would lease the aliquots separately so that only one spacing holds one well. Check your punctuation as the placement of commas and semicolons is very important. As typed above, they do not make sense.

I wrote the aliquots (new word for me) in order from smallest to largest, as in the South half of the Southwest quarter of the Northwest quarter and the West half of the Southwest quarter. I wasn’t supposed to put the commas in there I’m guessing? I should have used the word “of” or left out the commas?

Absolutely critical that you do not change any of the order or punctuation from the deed (with some exceptions). As you typed it, there would be great confusion as to what you really owned because the commas create conflicts in descriptions. The commas are not correct. Using the words you quoted it would be: S2 SW4 NW4 (20 gross acres) and W2 SW4 (80 gross acres) which does make sense!

thanks very much, @M_Barnes. I had no idea that the commas could cause such chaos. I will be very careful going forward.

Aliquots (a new word for me too) are extremely confusing to me, but they’re a part of my oil/gas ‘properties’ as well. Would these aliqot locations be absolutely correct on court probate paperwork? What about division orders? It looks like a simple insertion of a comma could send you in a different direction. What if the probate and division order have two different placements of commas, which one do you go with? I had a feeling these things were going to be confusing and a pain. Thank-you in advance.

I would never guarantee that either is absolutely correct. I would lean toward a deed being likely to be more correct since it is the original document. Human error tends to enter in as the descriptions are copied into other documents such as leases, probates or Division Orders.

The majority of attorneys that do Probates are only concerned with who the owners are/will be. Not what the decedent owned. Double checking to see if the legal descriptions are correct is time consuming resulting in higher costs for the client. I guess they figure the legal description can be corrected at a later date. Personally, I don’t know of a Division Order that puts more on the legal description than the Section/Township/Range, unless there is wild spacing for the subject well.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.