Lease offer for the William Devers Survey

I received a lease proposal for the William Devers Survey w/a $400 per net mineral acre bonus w/ a 5 yr lease from a landman w/ Charlston Energy.

Has anybody heard of Charlston Energy?

And does anybody know if there is anything going on in that area?

Debbie

If that is over in the Millican area, I would ask for $600-$700 an acre Bonus on 3 years with a 2 year renewal agreement with no less than 25% Royalty Gross at the wellhead with no "Mother Hubbard Clause". Clayton Williams Energy has a habit of offering rock bottom prices with a lot of clauses in the interest of CWE to individuals who do not understand mineral rights.

I always consider the bonus as "Butter on your bread" and the royalties from a well as your Fillet Mignon. Try to pin them down to a given date range of when a well would be drilled if possible. I do know that CWE has drilled 4 wells in the Northeast part of Brazos County but nothing in the Southern area.

As for Charlston Energy, I have never heard of them nor can I find anything about them in the Texas Railroad Commission Organization/Operator Query. http://webapps2.rrc.state.tx.us/EWA/organizationQueryAction.do

Before Signing anything, I suggest contacting several other companies and seeing if they are interested and what type of offer they can give you.

Currently there are a few companies that are very active in Brazos County.

HALCON OPERATING CO., INC. 832-453-3922 Travis Gross - Landman
ANADARKO E&P ONSHORE LLC Jim O'Malley, 832/636-3038
CRIMSON ENERGY PTNRS III, L.L.C. (817) 820-0600

Never heard of Charlston / Charleston Energy aside from some refrences to leasing in Louisiana. 99% chance this is a brokerage firm leasing for specific operator.

William,

According to the description of what I have:

Being a part of three-quarters of a league of land granted by the state of Coahuila and Texas to William Dever, and : Containing 320 acres of land,, more or less, and bounded as follows, to-wit:

Beginning at the N.E. Corner of a tract of land belonging formerly to Mary A. Clark, in the boundary line of the E.M. Millican League, at a stake from which a red oak 10" in diam. Brs. S 56 W. 12 vrs:

Thence running West 1250 varas to a stake from which a red oak 14" in diam. Brs. S 59 N. 2 1/2 and a red oak 20" in diam. Brs. S 67 E. 12 varas:

Thence running South 1356 varas to a stake from which a P.O. 12" in diam. Brs. N. 31 E. 28 vrs. And a hickory 14" in. diam. Brs. S. 10 E 8 vrs:

Thence running East 1250 varas to a stake in E. M. Millican West Boundary line from which a hickory 15" in diam. Brs. N. 16 E. 15 vrs.:

Thence North with E.M. Millican west boundary line to the piece of beginning.

If I'm not mistake it seems like the property is next to the Millican property.

Do you still think a a $600 or $700 bonus would be possible.

I called ANADARKO, HALCON, and CRIMSON and I'm waiting for their reply.

William, your help is GREATLY APPRECIATED !!

P.S.

The landman that called is from Charleston Energy in Louisiana.

I decided not to accept his offer. Thanks to you!

William Osborn II said:

If that is over in the Millican area, I would ask for $600-$700 an acre Bonus on 3 years with a 2 year renewal agreement with no less than 25% Royalty Gross at the wellhead with no "Mother Hubbard Clause". Clayton Williams Energy has a habit of offering rock bottom prices with a lot of clauses in the interest of CWE to individuals who do not understand mineral rights.

I always consider the bonus as "Butter on your bread" and the royalties from a well as your Fillet Mignon. Try to pin them down to a given date range of when a well would be drilled if possible. I do know that CWE has drilled 4 wells in the Northeast part of Brazos County but nothing in the Southern area.

As for Charlston Energy, I have never heard of them nor can I find anything about them in the Texas Railroad Commission Organization/Operator Query. http://webapps2.rrc.state.tx.us/EWA/organizationQueryAction.do

Before Signing anything, I suggest contacting several other companies and seeing if they are interested and what type of offer they can give you.

Przzz, you're right ,

The landman is from Charleston Energy in Louisiana.

I decided to follow William's advice to try contacting other companies.

Przzz your feedback is Greatly Appreciated.

Debbie

Przzz said:

Never heard of Charlston / Charleston Energy aside from some refrences to leasing in Louisiana. 99% chance this is a brokerage firm leasing for specific operator.

Definitely wait till you hear back from the others. Let Charleston know that you will entertain an offer but that they must be in the ballpark and with royalties and stipulations which I mentioned. I did hear today that one individual up here in the Tabor Area did receive $1250 an acre but it was very recently with high producing wells on both sides. I still think that most of the current activity is up in the Northern part of the county but I do feel that it will spread in due time towards the South.

I think that it is awesome that your property dates back to the Land Grant from State of Coahuila and Texas. I bet the original deed has my forth great-grandfathers signature. Alexander Thomson and Sterling C. Robertson were partners in the creation of the Colony and Alexander Thomson was the surveyor of the colony.

Check out http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/fth30

and http://www.flickr.com/photos/texashistoricalmarkers/396806624/

Also, Beware that I have a good number of companies offering to buy minerals. Whatever you do, don't sell. I have an Eleventh Commandment "Thou Shall Not Sell Thy Mineral Rights"

Have a Blessed Weekend,

Bill

Debbie Storm said:

William,

According to the description of what I have:

Being a part of three-quarters of a league of land granted by the state of Coahuila and Texas to William Dever, and : Containing 320 acres of land,, more or less, and bounded as follows, to-wit:

Beginning at the N.E. Corner of a tract of land belonging formerly to Mary A. Clark, in the boundary line of the E.M. Millican League, at a stake from which a red oak 10" in diam. Brs. S 56 W. 12 vrs:

Thence running West 1250 varas to a stake from which a red oak 14" in diam. Brs. S 59 N. 2 1/2 and a red oak 20" in diam. Brs. S 67 E. 12 varas:

Thence running South 1356 varas to a stake from which a P.O. 12" in diam. Brs. N. 31 E. 28 vrs. And a hickory 14" in. diam. Brs. S. 10 E 8 vrs:

Thence running East 1250 varas to a stake in E. M. Millican West Boundary line from which a hickory 15" in diam. Brs. N. 16 E. 15 vrs.:

Thence North with E.M. Millican west boundary line to the piece of beginning.

If I'm not mistake it seems like the property is next to the Millican property.

Do you still think a a $600 or $700 bonus would be possible.

I called ANADARKO, HALCON, and CRIMSON and I'm waiting for their reply.

William, your help is GREATLY APPRECIATED !!

P.S.

The landman that called is from Charleston Energy in Louisiana.

I decided not to accept his offer. Thanks to you!

William Osborn II said: