Lease Negotiation - Looking for Colorado Landman

Are there landman that help mineral owners negotiate an oil and gas lease. I’ve heard that this could be and option to pursue instead of hiring a gas/oil attorney ? I’m looking for someone in Colorado. Thanks.

Yes there are Cathy, and I’ve got one I’d recommend, but I don’t know if he does deals that are under say 640 acres. His name is John Geyer. He takes a percentage of the negotiated bonus payment. Since we waited and had all kinds of offers, we only paid him on the increase that he got for us. In our case we had gotten the offer up to $750 per acre on our own, and he got us an additional $250. So, what I would recommend is get a bit of a bidding war going on before you hire a landman. You will likely be getting offers from GFL as well, and if you reach out to Transcontinent, who represents Anadarko, they will also be interested. I can also recommend two attorneys. John is negotiating the lease, but we had an attorney review it. His name is Chris Hayes, but I’d also recommend Mike Elliott, who is on this forum. If you accept my friend request, I’ll send you a message with more intel.

You’re awesome, thanks for the information. Any info you have is greatly appreciated!

Lisa said:

Yes there are Cathy, and I’ve got one I’d recommend, but I don’t know if he does deals that are under say 640 acres. His name is John Geyer. He takes a percentage of the negotiated bonus payment. Since we waited and had all kinds of offers, we only paid him on the increase that he got for us. In our case we had gotten the offer up to $750 per acre on our own, and he got us an additional $250. So, what I would recommend is get a bit of a bidding war going on before you hire a landman. You will likely be getting offers from GFL as well, and if you reach out to Transcontinent, who represents Anadarko, they will also be interested. I can also recommend two attorneys. John is negotiating the lease, but we had an attorney review it. His name is Chris Hayes, but I’d also recommend Mike Elliott, who is on this forum. If you accept my friend request, I’ll send you a message with more intel.

I should add one more attorney–Ted Preston. He’s also on this forum. He’s representing some other folks in Arapahoe County, so he would probably be good to reach out to.

Lisa said:

Cathy,

I echo the recommmendation for John Geyer…his reputation in the industry is stellar and he is a man of exceptional integrity and intelligence. Trade terms aside, John will do the best possible job protecting your interests as to the ancillary issues that most people don’t consider — how to make sure that any undeveloped parts of your mineral intersts are held for the minimum time, how to preserve undeveloped horizons, how to ensure that the operator developing your minerals complies with all of its regulatory obligations so you can track production attributable to your mineral interest, etc.

Also, it is better to work with companies that are committed to using their own capital in whole or in part in developing your leasehold — there is a lot of rhetoric in the community right now about how wide-spread the activity is going to be, and there are a number of parties who are leasing to speculate that the value of the leases is going to increase. As I am sure that others have shared in this forum, the bonus consideration, while significant, may not be the primary compensation that a mineral owner receives, and maximizing the value of your share of the actual production takes into account many factors that are discussed in a typical lease. The other thing is that you want to lease to a group that can discuss with you in detail what potential they believe that your minerals may have based on sound geological analysis — there are reasons that certain properties are more attractive to the different companies that are drilling wells now, and a company that can share with you their specific reasons for wanting a lease of your minerals is more likely to want to develop the property sooner, although unless there is a drilling commitment, there are no guarantees.

Good luck…jbbyrd

Lisa said: