Lease Held By Production Question

If an operator acquires minerals on a lease which has an old P&A'd well on the property and in turn re-enters the well, produces a small amount of oil from this well, does this constitute the lease being held by production? Would the lease wording be the key to this answer?

The lease wording is key, and depending on that, the operator's costs versus amount produced is also key.

Since you said this will was plugged and abondoned, then at some point in time it obviously did not produce at which time the land owner came terminate the lease when ever they want to. There is a term call tenancy at will. And no, don't take my word for it, by you might want to take the judge's word for it in the following case.

Thank you to the law office of Houston Harbaugh who have this information on their website

http://www.hh-law.com/News/20111103-Non-ProductionDuringSecondaryTermResultsinTerminationofLease.aspx

The Court further observed that a "tenancy at will" can be terminated at any time by the landowner and that the Wilsons were well within their rights to now terminate the 1920 Lease. As such, the Court granted the Wilsons' Motion for Summary Judgment and declared that the 1920 Lease was "terminated and no longer valid."

Klaus:

Thanks for the interesting article. The well whcih I refer to in my post was P&A'd in 2001. The records indicate very little production and at the time, most likely was not cost effective to maintain.

Klaus Balkenhol said:

Since you said this will was plugged and abondoned, then at some point in time it obviously did not produce at which time the land owner came terminate the lease when ever they want to. There is a term call tenancy at will. And no, don't take my word for it, by you might want to take the judge's word for it in the following case.

Thank you to the law office of Houston Harbaugh who have this information on their website

http://www.hh-law.com/News/20111103-Non-ProductionDuringSecondaryTe...

The Court further observed that a "tenancy at will" can be terminated at any time by the landowner and that the Wilsons were well within their rights to now terminate the 1920 Lease. As such, the Court granted the Wilsons' Motion for Summary Judgment and declared that the 1920 Lease was "terminated and no longer valid."

It also depends what state you are in.

Ben:

Thanks for your replies. The minerals are located in MT. This scenerio has not occurred but I was just wondering "what if" as many leases have P&A'd wells.

Ben Elmore said:

Charles,

Could you explain what a P&A'D well is for some of the Forum members that might not know? Thank you sir.

Oh, by the way, I'm about ready for that cup of coffee.

Clint Liles

charles s mallory said:

Ben:

Thanks for your replies. The minerals are located in MT. This scenerio has not occurred but I was just wondering "what if" as many leases have P&A'd wells.

Ben Elmore said:

P & A'd is short for plugged and abandoned wells. This is normally the result of either a dry hole or declining production whereas the cost to maintain the well is more than the well makes "money wise".

Charles,

Thank you sir for your P & D'd answer and also thank you for all your knowledge and help to the Forum members. Ben I'm certainly not going to leave you out. Also thanks to you for your help. Thanks also Kenny Dubose for making this Forum possible.

Clint Liles