Lease from 1920s

Would a Lease from 1926 that had no production still be considered valid even if no renewal and no bonus payment and would there need to be a release done, or a document to show landowner considers it to be abandoned to remove the cloud. Also, would It be possible for lessee to renew the lease with payment of past owed under lease agreement?

First, I’m not a legal expert, and second, every Lease needs to be looked at for its own unique terms and situations (and state laws, etc). But with those caveats out of the way, I’ve not seen any leases or situations where a lease like you describe would be still active even without a release being filled (unless it was producing without you knowing and they couldn’t find you to pay you, or something like that)

1 Like

So I found that a company came in later and leased the same property and drilled a well and it produced then production has stopped for a few years now. So there could be two possible company’s with claims? or The prior leasee has a claim of the minerals and the company that drilled could be in the wrong. Or both ended and now landowner can lease to someone else I am having a hard time finding any information and guidance by court decisions.

What is the legal location of the well/lease in question?

320 in the WA Droddy Newton County Texas

If it were in Oklahoma I could help you out, don’t have subscription for Texas Cheers

Likely if there has been no production in years, the argument can be made that the lease is null and void unless lease had some very unusual allowances. I know a very good Oil Attorney that is not outrageously priced if you care for their name.

yes that would be great

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.