Lease expired

I had my acreage leased several years ago and then expired. Two years later, I found out that on the records that the land men use, it still showed as leased.

How can I confirm that this has been corrected?

What in the records did you see showing that the lease extended itself two years after the fact?

Did someone forge your signature?

If there was an option to extend the lease, and lessee satisfied the option to extend in a timely manner, and by paying the consideration (money), then there is nothing to correct. However, we don't know that this is the case. We do know that it is difficult to answer your question based on the facts presented.

Supposedly at our local court house where the land men go to look up property titles. I guess I'll have to go back to the court house to see if it was ever corrected. I thought there may be a short cut to find out. Thanks...

No, not the venue. I understand that it is the County Clerk's office.

You said that you saw where an expired lease had been given new life, like the monster in Frankenstein.

What did you read or see that brought that expired lease back to life???? I know where you saw it, at the local courthouse.

If it has been corrected, they should have filed a release of the lease in the deed records.

Elaine, as you can see Dave Quincy is a real smartass. I would ignore him if I were you.

They are not going to file a release if the records that landmen use show that the lease that was once expired has been extended, or is still in effect. Typically, oil companies don't file releases unless the records that landmen use, indicate that the original lease has expired. Elaine, as you can see, Michael Hutchison contributed absolutely nothing to the resolution of your question. He also violated the User Policy. I would ignore him if I was everybody.

Hutchison, go to another site, or don't post unless you can contribute something of substance to the question. Any idiot can engage in name calling. How would you answer her question?

Why do posters keep ignoring the facts of the original question?

How was the dead lease brought back to life? No else should respond with answers about a release until she gives more information. I knew someone was going to say that, but I didn't take the bait. A release wouldn't come into play unless the lease has in fact expired. We simply don't know why she thinks that an expired lease has been brought to life, like the monster in the movie Young Frankenstein, or in Mary Shelley's novel.

The question was "How can I confirm this was corrected" You are reading way too much into it just as you complain about other people doing. You have posted nothing here of any use. Wade Caldwell answered the question.

Dave Quincy said:

They are not going to file a release if the records that landmen use show that the lease that was once expired has been extended, or is still in effect. Typically, oil companies don't file releases unless the records that landmen use, indicate that the original lease has expired. Elaine, as you can see, Michael Hutchison contributed absolutely nothing to the resolution of your question. He also violated the User Policy. I would ignore him if I was everybody.

Hutchison, go to another site, or don't post unless you can contribute something of substance to the question. Any idiot can engage in name calling. How would you answer her question?

Why do posters keep ignoring the facts of the original question?

How was the dead lease brought back to life? No else should respond with answers about a release until she gives more information. I knew someone was going to say that, but I didn't take the bait. A release wouldn't come into play unless the lease has in fact expired. We simply don't know why she thinks that an expired lease has been brought to life, like the monster in the movie Young Frankenstein, or in Mary Shelley's novel.

A Release normally wouldn't apply to a lease that is still in effect. Correct what?

Expired leases don't reignite themselves. What did she see at the courthouse that needs to be corrected, or indicates to her that something even needs to be corrected?

It would be impossible to read too much into it. Enough information isn't provided. If she had said that the lease was expired, and stopped there, the reply about the release might be on point. To get that far, however, one would need to know what exactly she was seeing to make her think that it was still in effect. I tried to get her to clarify that, but all that I got back was that it was something at the courthouse.

You're reading too much into it if you automatically assume that the reply about a release is the correct one. I could never get that far unless I knew exactly why she believes that record title shows it to still be under lease. She states very clearly that to be the case. - BUT NOT WHY -

Elaine did not say the lease was brought back to life, you did.

Dave Quincy said:

No, not the venue. I understand that it is the County Clerk's office.

You said that you saw where an expired lease had been given new life, like the monster in Frankenstein.

What did you read or see that brought that expired lease back to life???? I know where you saw it, at the local courthouse.Elain did not say that the lease had been brought to life

"

Dave Quincy said:

A Release normally wouldn't apply to a lease that is still in effect. Correct what?

Expired leases don't reignite themselves. What did she see at the courthouse that needs to be corrected, or indicates to her that something even needs to be corrected?

It would be impossible to read too much into it. Enough information isn't provided. If she had said that the lease was expired, and stopped there, the reply about the release might be on point. To get that far, however, one would need to know what exactly what she was seeing to make her think that it was still in effect. I tried to get her to clarify that, but all that I got back was that it was something at the courthouse.

You're reading too much into it if you automatically assume that the reply about a release is the correct one. I could never get that far unless I knew exactly why she believes that record title shows it to still be under lease. She states very clearly that to be the case. - BUT NOT WHY -

"Two years later it still showed as leased." Prior to that, she had said it expired.

What happened in between? I guess that's the part I don't understand, because she doesn't tell us.

I asked her to clarify that, but all I got back is that it was something at the courthouse.

I know how to read. You don't recall that question that Jon asked about getting out of the lease in Michigan? I was the only one who could discern from his postings that he never received an Order for Payment.

Everyone else, including you, posted that he did. Jon later verified that he did not.

Like I said, I know how to read.

It went from "expired" to "still showed as leased" in the same question.

The lease with nine lives. Maybe it's some kind of super lease that you can't kill.

If it's still showed or shown as leased, maybe they won't release it if they have a different take than Elaine as to what is going on. "They" being the lessee.

Wouldn't the best way to resolve the problem would be to write those who leased the property and ask them to please file a "release of lease" ?

No, because you don't know what causes the lessor to believe that the once expired lease is now shown as being leased. You could write lessee and ask them anything you want to. The question remains the same. How does an expired lease later show to be leased? If it shows to be leased, the oil co. lessee would not really have any incentive to file a release.

Still reading too much into it. Elaine did not say the lessee believes the lease is still in force.

Dave Quincy said:

No, because you don't know what causes the lessor to believe that the once expired lease is now shown as being leased. You could write lessee and ask them anything you want to. The question remains the same. How does an expired lease later show to be leased? If it shows to be leased, the oil co. lessee would not really have any incentive to file a release.

Back in the Twilight Zone. It's either expired or it isn't. If it is expired, requesting a release would be a good idea. However, we are told that record title indicates that it is leased. How does that happen? Some type of fraud? Maybe Elaine should just get someone who knows what they are doing to go down and see what is really going on.

How 'bout we all just ignore Dave Quincy and maybe he will go away!

Michael, the most likely explanation of what I going on in Elaine's situation is extremely commom. I am 99% certain that Mr. Gill spotted it immediately and gave the cut to the chase answer. Since Elaine's question was already answered by Mr. Caldwell and Mr. Gill gave, in my opinion good advice, I think it would be a shame to deny Mr. Quincy the opportunity to figure it out on his own. I merely pointed out where I thought he was going in a direction off of what he suggested and not what the poster said. I'll PM you with what I think is underlying this.

Michael Hutchison said:

How 'bout we all just ignore Dave Quincy and maybe he will go away!

No, I think it might be something much more sinister. Expired leases just don't show up again as being leased. There is nothing common about that. Why does r w kennedy keep saying that a release is the best answer? There is nothing to figure out based on the information provided. Maybe somebody forged a new lease and recorded it. In that case, a complaint filed with the District Attorney might be the better reply.

The best bet is probably that she saw it in the Clerk's Office still of record, and maybe thought that the instruments were removed from the books once the lease expired. That's probably it.

r w kennedy, answer the question. It might help Elaine. What is common about a poster saying that their lease has expired, and finding out two years after the fact that it is shown as leased????? NOTHING COULD BE MORE UNCOMMON!

Hutchison is much easier to ignore. He contributes absolutely nothing to the discussion. It's over his head.