Lease breaking

I’m curious as to what the qualifications are for a lease to broken on an old HBP well (amount of production per year etc…), any insight would be much appreciated.

George,

There are circumstances in which a lease can be broken in West Virginia, either low production or no production are two causes. I would suggest you contact an attorney that specializes in Oil, Gas & Mineral Leases, they would be able to give you specific information.

Good Luck

As far as I have ever been told is that if there is no production and your operator no longer pays you to retain the rights, then your lease is broken? I am not a lawyer and don't play one either...but that is what I understand?

Stephanie,

You are partially correct. In WV, two years without payment must transpire and then you are required to file a lease abandonment suit, it is not just a matter of declaring a lease voided. It is not a simple matter, I filed a suit in January 2017 and we are far from having the matter resolved.

Equally, you can file a abandonment suit when a well 'Does not produce marketable production'. Exactly how that is defined seems to be different, depending on who the Judge is that hears the case.

Good Luck

WV Mineral Owner, is there a WV law saying something about the situation when a well "does not produce marketable production"?

So have two working wells in Woodbridge and I can’t get any call back or a response or information about my lease and have yet to see one payments from gas or oil or penalty pa.I only hear that they are sTing for a little . I never get a real person on the phone. I need some advice please

I mean doddridge

Lisa Sue,

Who is the producer? Do you have any specifics of the well(s) - API Numbers, Well names, etc?