Lease bonus calculation question

I just found out last night that when a new lease is agreed upon there is a lease bonus included. I never knew that - still learning about these minerals. Is there a percentage or equation on how much a bonus should be or a fair lease bonus for both the mineral owner and the company leasing?

Usually based on a per acre payment.

1 Like

Not always a lease bonus included. The answer depends upon the royalty that you select. I often choose a higher royalty such as 1/5th or 1/4 that has no lease bonus. The royalties usually far surpass the bonus amount (if the well is good).

There is not a website for a “fair” bonus. It is all about competition and the amounts are not posted anywhere and are not on the leases. . The closest you can come is to look up the pooling orders in the eight contiguous sections around your section within the last year. Often, there is nothing to find. Since hardly anything happened in 2020, there may not be any poolings to compare with. I am starting to see new cases, so that is encouraging.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.