Lease activity in Cheyenne and Kiowa County, CO

My family owns land/mineral rights in Cheyenne and Kiowa Counties. I have been contacted by an agent about leasing the mineral rights in Kiowa County. Has anyone else in Kiowa County been contacted?

I have also been contacted. What are the terms you received? They offered me an eighth royalty and $50 per net mineral acre or 15% royalty and $25 per net mineral acre. Most of my acreage is in T18-20S, R51 West. Where is your acreage located?

I don’t have the legal in front of me - we are on the north side of Kiowa County - on the Cheyenne County line, between Kit Carson and Eads. I was offered $50 with 15% royalty for 3 years with 5 year option at $100.00 per acre from Pascal/Westphal Energy. I have not signed yet - looking into it. What company contacted you?

My guess is that your land is north of Haswell near the Ferris place. 1/8 royalty is 12.5%, you can do better. In the case of Carolyn and I since our land is much closer together than yours. We are in township 15 and 16 Range 48. She has a better deal than I do so far the difference being, I have 5yrs and 5yrs ext. I’m asking for 3yrs and no extention and some other revisions to the terms that I have yet to determine.

Gregg Colton said:

I have also been contacted. What are the terms you received? They offered me an eighth royalty and $50 per net mineral acre or 15% royalty and $25 per net mineral acre. Most of my acreage is in T18-20S, R51 West. Where is your acreage located?

I was contacted by McDonald Land Services LLC. They are working for someone that they would not disclose.

Carolyn Rohde said:

I don't have the legal in front of me - we are on the north side of Kiowa County - on the Cheyenne County line, between Kit Carson and Eads. I was offered $50 with 15% royalty for 3 years with 5 year option at $100.00 per acre from Pascal/Westphal Energy. I have not signed yet - looking into it. What company contacted you?

Here is a map of the Niobrara formation, that I found with a description.

http://oilshalegas.com/niobrarashale.html

It appears to me that we are on the very edge of the very edge.

We own mineral rights in the very far south of Kiowa County. In doing research on the Colorado Oil and Gas Commission website I found that there is a lot of activity north of Eads/Brandon in Kiowa County. There may be more in other areas. McDonald Land Services out of OK is trying to tie up a lot of mineral rights in Kiowa County at $50 per acre and 1/8th royalty. With all of the activity that is going on north of Eads/Brandon your mineral rights may be worth more than they are offering. I think that it would pay you to investigate more thoroughly. Certainly I would suggest that you go to the COGCC website to see what is going on in your areas.

Kiowa county leasing is not the niobrara shale. They are after the Atoka/Cherokee shale. Some companies, Running Fox and Nighthawk have been trying it in Lincoln county. It is much deeper there and they are very inexperience companies. In Kiowa the Atoka and Cherokee sit at less than 5500 feet. There are tons of groups moving in to Eads. Do not lease yet! Chesapeak is more than likely behind the activity.

McDonald Land Services just contacted me regarding some Wyoming minerals. They were working for Chesapeake on those. Doesn’t prove anything but I’d concur they’re probably also working this CO acreage on behalf of Chesapeake.

Gregg Colton said:

I was contacted by McDonald Land Services LLC. They are working for someone that they would not disclose.

Carolyn Rohde said:
I don't have the legal in front of me - we are on the north side of Kiowa County - on the Cheyenne County line, between Kit Carson and Eads. I was offered $50 with 15% royalty for 3 years with 5 year option at $100.00 per acre from Pascal/Westphal Energy. I have not signed yet - looking into it. What company contacted you?

It does seem funny that all these companies showed up at about the same time. Or is this standard practice?

From my research (& I am NOT an expert), landmen will show up in droves when there is interest in an area and try to buy up as many "cheap" rights as they can. I think we can surmise that someone has a serious interest in the area right now!

These prices are going to go higher. There is to much activity/interest in this area. theres also lots of dope on the area so who ever is behind this leasing activity knows what they are doing.

we have been contacted by Mc Donald now and was contacted earlier by Cholla out of Texas. Cholla offered 50.00/ acre and 81/2 % royality. McDonald offer is 75.00/acre and we get 12.5% royality from them which is a better deal and Chris Polsin is the landman and they do there own title work with a pugh clause intact.

any info would be helpful

Peggy S Stewart-Weber

i grew up in Kiowa county there is no dope on or around there you better check your interests better dude

Mike rhymer said:

These prices are going to go higher. There is to much activity/interest in this area. theres also lots of dope on the area so who ever is behind this leasing activity knows what they are doing.

dope is a word that means data in the oil field. There have been wells drilled in the area and logs and samples have been taken. that means that there is info on what geological formations the companies are after.

Peggy Stewart said:

i grew up in Kiowa county there is no dope on or around there you better check your interests better dude

Mike rhymer said:

I was just offered $150/acre–this baby is shooting for the moon! Whoever said Nasa was over hadn’t been to Kiowa County!

$150.00 per acre for how long and what royalty?

Hi Hans,

Could you give us some particulars? Are you North or South of Eads/Brandon? Who is offering you those terms? Percentages/length of lease/renewal?
Hans Bickenbach said:

I was just offered $150/acre--this baby is shooting for the moon! Whoever said Nasa was over hadn't been to Kiowa County!

who offered you this? and where is your land ours is west and east of eads

Was it Dale resources? There are definatley more than just Mcdonald and Diamnod leasing now. More groups are in the courthouse. Anyone in the area have any more info?