Lea County lawsuit?

So we just found out that our ancestors had interest in this area (yes I have the specifics). Can anyone tell me what type of lawsuit is going on in the areas of Lea County? I cannot find any information online,

Do tell me more! I have 6 different mineral interests in Lea County and have not heard of any such actions.

There is a lawsuit about to be launched unless something else happens to get things moving. We have an inherited mineral rights issue in which my deceased aunt was cut out of her share of royalties (11% ownership) going way back to ~ 1965. Doubt we will get even close to what was stolen from her, but time will tell.

Good luck. I guess you still have to stay on top of this stuff. My main memory of my grandmother is her fussing with oil companies ad nauseum.

Did other relatives receive theirs? Is there a statue of limitations ?

1 Like

She was the only family to own the 11% she inherited from her parents. She had the lease from 1959-1964 when it expired. Within a year or so, a well was struck on that property but my aunt was never informed. Don’t understand how that happened, but it did. Four different companies have operated that well since. The last operator is stonewalling inquires, thus the reason that a lawsuit is brewing. There is a 7 yr. limit on back compensation unless fraud is involved. Most of the big financial payouts likely occurred in the earlier years. Sad commentary. My aunt was very savvy and would be very upset if she had ever discovered what happened. It was dumb luck on my part to find that well on her property.

First off, you say she owned 11%. How do you know that?

I’m not saying you are incorrect, but have you probated the ancestors will? In what ever county/state they died in?

Once you have a probated will saying she owned so much and she left it to you, then you need file that with Lea County courts laying claim to what is legally yours. Cost will vary, but if you have a probated will in her county/state, call it $500 to get it filed via a Lea County attorney in the Lea County courts.

Then you can legally claim it and you now have what is called a “marketable title” - IE Lea County courts SAID you own it.

But the law is the law and unless YOU DO YOUR PART, no one else will.

Hope that makes sense. It’s the steps we’ve gone through over the past six years.

2 Likes