Landman or lawyer

I have a uncurled title in reeves county tax. A well has produced for years with suspended payment. I just got a letter wanting a buy out. The amount amazed me. So now I am wondering do I hire Landman or lawyer to see if I can cure title. Any thoughts?

2 Likes

A landman can do some simple curative but no court proceedings. Looks like you already filed an affidavit and that didn’t work (they don’t usually) so some sort of probate needed - probably an attorney. From what I can tell, you ratified a lease with Endeavor and the interest passed to Centennial then to Permian Resources. Before hiring anyone, I would reach out to the operator Permain Resources: Centennial Owners - Permian Resources Have them tell you exactly what you need to clear title.

If you will look at the Reeves County, Texas group you will see many, many post about problems with Permian Resources and the Reeves County Clerks office. You need to read these and probably get an attorney. BUT most people don’t won’t to spend a few cents to hire an attorney and help themselves.

You dont need to hire anyone, it sounds like you are ready to sell, tell the buyer whats going on and let them figure it out, they will tell you exactly what you need to do free of charge.

1 Like

You should get title cured and collect the suspended funds. Then you can consider selling. Otherwise the buyer will get the suspended funds. First contact the operator and determine whose name the minerals are in, how many generations between you and your predecessor and ask for a copy of the part of the drilling title opinion prepared by the operator’s lawyer which pertains to your minerals. Then you can determine the steps you need to take. Hopefully it is only one or two generations and even better if probate was filed in Texas or another state which you can just file in Reeves County.

3 Likes

@gerry_coone if you are ready to sell, you could go about this two ways. One, get a landman to help get your interest out of suspense, collect, then sell if that is what you would like to do. Second, mentioned herein, work with a buyer to sell but make darn sure the deed is drafted in a way that you collect all funds up to the effective date of the deed and let them handle the paper work. Also, since you’re getting a substantial offer, best make sure you know what’s going on and make sure you get that future value, not just what it might be worth without this new development.

Great Advice! It amazes me how some people think that owning minerals is a big burden. They can’t wait to give them away!

You have anyone clamoring to sell or (even better) give them away, send them my way! :slight_smile:

Definently get an attorney. That’s one thing we regret not doing while dealing with oil companies. Do not go with just anyone, get recommendations from other Mineral Rights owners in your area.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.