Land never leased or sold

We own land in Vernon parish Louisiana. We were never asked to lease or sell our oil and mineral rights. Even though our neighbors have leased theirs. We have owned this property for 30 years. We have no ideal who to ask why.

If your minerals are not in an active oil or gas area, then there may not be any interest. I moved your question over to the Louisiana Mineral Rights area.

Did you purchase the land, receive it through inheritance or some other way? It could make a difference how the ownership is shown in the deed records which could affect lease agents ability to contact you.

You didn’t say if this was recent, but if your neighbors have leased their tracts why don’t you try contacting the company who leased that property and ask if they are interested in yours?

Regarding selling your mineral rights, I know Louisiana law limits how long someone can retain minerals after they sell the surface interest in land. I’m wondering if that also means someone can’t buy and permanently hold mineral rights separately from the land. Maybe someone else can help you on that.

Thank you very much. The land was purchased not inherited. This is a very active area. They started leasing in our area over twenty years ago. When we did ask they just say our land is already leased. Even though we are certain it is not.

If they say it is leased, ask them who leased it and when and what book and page. Is there any production?

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.