Just found out we have mineral rights in Wetzel county

Just joined the forum after finding out that we (my siblings and cousins) own some mineral rights in Wetzel County. Some one from independantland man contacted them and want’s us to sign and pay $250 to activate a lease. My cousins know nothing about this mineral rights stuff but I’m no expert ether but dealt some 6 years ago in my county in Ohio with BP and know enough that there are bonus offers and royalties negotiations that have to happen.

However we don’t know even where the land is and the steps to take to discover all this. I never got the letter and waiting for my copy so I can start researching this. Can someone please add so guidance. Thanks!

Did I understand you to say that you are expected to PAY $250 to activate a lease? You should get paid not pay. And if you are offered to be paid $250 that is a very small amount even if you own a very small amount. Here is a link to the Wetzel County online records The main search is 1993 to the present. If you want to see the older records, select Vault Search. If you do that, a screen will appear with Image Not Available! on it. Go to the upper left drop down menu and select an index. If you don’t know which ancestor you inherited from, wait until you receive some more info. But if you know, you might try grantor index to deeds. This could be a complicated process, so ask if you have questions. I have left out a lot of steps.