Jones County TX Title Issue

My husband and I just inherited land in Jones County, Texas. There is a well on the land but it hasn’t produced since 2009. Not sure if they have even tried. The operator won’t give us a copy of the contract and we son’t know if we have mineral rights as our deed references nothing about minerals. Where do I start???

Alicia:

First, was the individual that you inherited the land from recieving royalties from this well? If not, then the mineral rights are most likely owned by another individual or descendent of the property. Second, you can go to the Anson County Courthouse (County Clerk's Office) and find out what names are on the mineral deeds for this property. You will have to know the legal description of the property (survey name, etc.) in order to locate the information. If you don't live in the area, you will need to get the help of a landman or another individual to research this information for you as the County Clerk's offices tend not to provide that service. I would start with my first suggestion as the minerals might belong to someone else.

Thanks for the reply Charles! He did receive royalties; 1/16, so and only one time over the past 2 years. Would that mean we do have rights? I have called the clerks office and yes, they aren’t much help and we are 7 hours away. I plan to just order all deeds and records from them via mail if they will allow. Will that tell me who else has the rights? Why do you think the current operator won’t provide us a contract?

Alicia:

The records should provide the information you are seeking but it might be time saving and more productive to contact a landman in that area who researchs records on a daily basis and could zero in on what you are trying to determine. I have no idea why the operator won't work with you but I don't know the circumstances and what the operator might or might not know about your situation. You will need to have the mineral deed put into your name through a transfer of records in which a landman could possibly assist.

Alicia Wilson said:

Thanks for the reply Charles! He did receive royalties; 1/16, so and only one time over the past 2 years. Would that mean we do have rights? I have called the clerks office and yes, they aren't much help and we are 7 hours away. I plan to just order all deeds and records from them via mail if they will allow. Will that tell me who else has the rights? Why do you think the current operator won't provide us a contract?

Sounds like I am on the right track with what you are saying. I may have a question on how to find a landman, but I will start on the net and see what I can find. Thanks again!

i just want to share my story, i got some papers in the mail 4 days ago, it was about some land in Jones Co. tx, it was left to my Grandfather, who passed away 9 years ago, come to find out, the last person to own the land died without leaving a will, so now am one of about 10 people who may claim right to this land, but the papers i received a ask me to sign my rights away, after doing some research, i out that i can sign my rights over to the land but keep my rights to the minerals…is this true?