Jefferson Co MS transfer mineral rights

I have land in Jefferson County Mississippi, My family sold the land but with held mineral rights (100%) My Mother was deeded half the minerals in the 1960s before the land was sold, other half was deeded to My Aunt at the same time. Mother died in 1999 leaving me & my two siblings as heirs.

My main question is how do I tranfer the mineral deed to my name?

Next question is, Can I write up a contract or exchange of deed to buy my Aunt out of her half. Or what needs to be done for her to transfer her portion of the deed for me?

You said that your mother left the minerals to you and your siblings as heirs. Was a will probated and filed in the county of her death and in Jefferson County if a different county? In some states, a new deed is required and in other states, the probated will is sufficient. You would need to contact a Miss. attorney to get it done properly. The attorney can help you with the offer to buy out your aunt. These sorts of things must be done absolutely perfectly. Any off the cuff attempts may cloud the title which is not good.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.