I've inherited mineral rights, but I know nothing!

This is GREAT!! I’m learning more every day thanks to you and others! Hopefully soon I won’t have to ask quite so many questions!

Do all states have similar systems in place? I have deeds from NM, TX, OK, MO, KS and SD.

And I have backed up everything I have three ways!!!

New Mexico-http://ocdimage.emnrd.state.nm.us/imaging/WellFileCriteria.aspx South Dakota-Department of Agriculture & Natural Resources Kansas-Kansas Corporation Commission - Data Search Missouri-Oil and Gas Wells

Try these…

TripleF,

those are section, township, range designations. you can plot them in a few different places on the web to see the location. most states use this system (a notable exclusion would be Texas).

in the example you provided, the location of the well would be in

Section 29, township 6N, range 6E

here’s what the rest of this stuff means.

SE1/4 of the NW1/4 of section 29…

ok, so kind’ve have to read this backwards until you get used to it. the location is in the NW1/4 of section 29. further, it’s in the SE 1/4 of the NW 1/4 of section 29.

so the other designation you see on your income statement is well #, then Billington-Burgess is the name of the oil field, then Seminole is the County, and of course OK is the state.

if you go to the OCC and use their well finder, you can just type in the field name. you’ll see that what comes up is the section 29 you’ve referenced in your other parcel description. hope this helps.

I’ve linked the OCC well finder below.

OCC Well Data Finder (oklahoma.gov)

2 Likes

This site also has a Blog section you have to search to find. Here is an article and thread, somewhat dated, titled Internet resources For Mineral Owners.

https://www.mineralrightsforum.com/t/internet-resources-for-mineral-owners/24833

I haven’t been on the site for several weeks, so missed your original post. One source of information I didn’t see mentioned by anyone else is unclaimed property funds in various states in which your grandfather may have invested. A search of those online sites may reveal escheated funds from production where the contact info for the owner had been lost. You may have funds available that you can claim that will help fund your search. Do married and maiden name searches on all individuals between your grandfather and your self.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion but I’ve already done an exhaustive search. But to your point, it’s a very worthwhile thing to do. That’s what really got me started trying to examine my families mineral rights. I discovered $10,000+ that had been escheated to the State at North Carolina!! I had no idea that we had mineral rights that were spinning off this much revenue. I had never gotten a check!!!

1 Like

This is EXCELLENT! Everyone should have this bookmarked for reference. I had no idea they were this many fantastic resources out there available.

@M_Barnes . . . you have helped me so very much! I’m still going back very frequently to your thoughts and suggestions. I feel very lucky that you answered my plea for help!! Just wanted you to know how much your advice and assistance have meant to me!

3 Likes

Most of us have stumbled into our ownership and learned along the way, so passing on tips and tricks and information to others makes us all more informed! Just passing it along!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.