Is this two or one property?

Hello - This may seem like a very basic question but I am very new to the oil and gas ownership process… can anyone tell me if these are two separate areas based on the language of the deed that reads: “The oil, gas, and other minerals of every kind and character in and under and which may be produced from the South Half of the Northeast Quarter (S/2 NE/4) and the Northwest Quarter (NW/4) of Section Fourteen (14), Township Fifteen (15) North, Range Nine (9) West, Kingfisher County, Oklahoma”. Any help you can provide will be much appreciated!

1 Like

These legal descriptions are contiguous. I would consider them to be one property. However, it is possible that these may be in two different spacing units for a well. I hope his helps.

This post is not legal, tax or investment advice. Reading or responding to this post does not create an attorney/client relationship.

1 Like

@Val59, here is a map showing the property described.

3 Likes

Hey Pete…I’m probably wrong but…if these are 2 different surveys wouldn’t that legally make them 2 different properties? Clint

1 Like

I have a one in Texas that is very similar and it is taxed as two separate properties. So my thoughts would be, what does the taxing authority say it is. Just my 0.02 cents :slight_smile: MK

1 Like

This is not a legal issue. Most owners consider tracts within a section to be one property, regardless as to whether they were acquired by one or more deeds. So if you bought the N/2 of Section 1 and later bought the S/2 of Section 1, you are likely to think of Section 1 as being a single property. The county could tax as any number of tracts, such as 4 tracts being NW/4, NE/4, SW/4 and SE/4, but that is only because that is how the land was entered in the tax system. Counties often have tracts subdivided and simply update as ownership changes and that does not make any legal or title difference. Similarly, you might buy parts of 10 sections which are all listed in a single deed. That there was a single deed has no legal effect as to being one property or ten properties. Still most owners would think of them as 10 properties.

1 Like

TennisDaze thanks for the explanation but after reading it 3 times I still don’t know the answer…if it is considered 1 property or 2…DUH? …and oh yeah…thanks for all the help you give to the Forum members…it’s much appreciated.Clint

@Clint_Liles, looks like you posed an interesting question. Typically, a contiguous piece of land with a single owner is considered a single property, but there are exceptions and various reasons why they might be considered separate parts in some cases and a single unit in others. For your own records, you could count them as you wish, perhaps a single property with two tracts.

1 Like

Clint, I was just saying that you are free to consider it as one or as two properties. There is just not a right or wrong answer.

1 Like

Thanks TennisDaze…Old Redneck Country Boy got it now…and THANKS AGAIN for your contribution to this great Forum. Clint

Thanks for the help Pete…between U and Tennis ya’ll got me straightened out…and also want to THANK YOU for your continued help on this great Forum. Clint

@TennisDaze , I consider what I have in the Texas one as one property. The County and Pioneer say two. :slight_smile: What ever floats their boats. LOL!!! Thanks as always for your experience and thoughts. MK

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.