Is Surprise Valley Leasing For Comstock?

Here is an excerpt from Comstock’s Q2 2022 press release that was published today:

"Included in the reported drilling results was Comstock’s successful Circle M well drilled in Robertson County, Texas in the Western Haynesville area. The well was completed with a 7,900 foot lateral and was tested at 37 MMcf per day.

During the second quarter, Comstock completed an acquisition which included approximately 60,000 net acres prospective for the Haynesville and Bossier shale in East Texas, a 145 mile high pressure natural gas pipeline and a natural gas treating plant for $35.6 million."

I checked Robertson County filings, and Comstock has been very active with leasing and assignments since the summer of 2020. They’ve recorded 549 lease memos in their own name during that time and they’ve also acquired leases and wells via assignments.

In one interesting assignment, Comstock acquired a 100 % interest in 300+ HBP leases from Ovintiv, but only for the Mid Bossier and Haynesville intervals.

I’ve just started looking at their Robertson County lease area, but it looks like it aligns with the trend of the Surprise Valley leases in Leon.

2 Likes

If correct, Credit is due posters DukeO and PermianResearch who first mentioned Comstock back on June 28…

I took a look at Comstock’s leasing in Robertson County this weekend. A couple of maps are attached.

The first map shows the 24 Robertson County surveys in which Comstock has leased about 7,400 acres in its own name. The second map adds in the 123 Leon County surveys where Surprise Valley has leased about 46,500 acres. The lease areas fit together quite nicely…

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.