Interpreting well status map

Sorry for a "duh" question from a newbie, but a few months ago one of you nicely turned me on to the map of well statuses. I just want to make sure I'm reading it correctly. I have mineral rights in Section 25, 6N62W Weld Co, CO and it now shows a red dot (well) circled in yellow. To me that seems like it's producing. Am I right? If so, what's the next step? Should I contact the drilling company to find out how much it's producing and when royalties might appear? Is there a site I can go to in order to discover production rates. I think I bumped into that on one site, but I can't find it again. Thanks all!

You can put the cursor on the dot and double click and it will take you to another page. There, if you click in the well name it will take you to the production sheet where you can view production. If the well has just recently started producing the results will be confidential for a certain amount of time. We started receiving checks after the production came off confidential status and were paid for all months that the well had been producing

Barbara,

I'm also in that section. This section is a little more complicated because Bill Barrett divided the section into 2 halves (320 acre Spacing Units) so the Current Well (Dutch Lake) on the Western half only shares with those W1/2 mineral owners and has been producing since 2012. They have a permit for 3 more wells but I haven't seen more drilling. The Eastern half will be drilled by Red Hawk Petroleum who just filed an application for 4 Wells. Which side are your minerals located? The Map doesn't show the spacing for the wells (I am not an expert so maybe its there and I just don't know how to find it!!)

Thanks so much everyone! Yes, we're in the eastern half, darn it. I know we're in the Red Hawk section. Just trying to get my darling husband able to retire! I got the application notice for the 4 wells so hopefully they'll be drilled soon. I'd love to volunteer to redo the maps so they're clearer for those of us who are new at this. I'm sure the pros have no problem, but your suggestions will increase my knowledge base by a lot!

Have a good weekend!

If you want to find out the spacing go to the pending permits and click the blue numbers where the operators name is (should be Angie galvan). It will take you to the permit application and on there you will find the spacing.

Barry,

Thanks for the input, but I think I must have a compatibility problem. I only get the western permit site for Barrett and nothing on the east half of the section for Red Hawk. Very frustrating. I bumped into (only once) where it showed the producing wells with the yellow circles, but I think that was still only for the Barrett CO well. I don't want to bug Red Hawk by calling them, but I really would like to know when those 4 wells will drill.

Barry Songer said:

If you want to find out the spacing go to the pending permits and click the blue numbers where the operators name is (should be Angie galvan). It will take you to the permit application and on there you will find the spacing.

You are using the GIS COGCC website I take it... Sounds like you've correctly turned on the 'well status' layer and now are seeing a yellow filled well, being a producing well... Try turning on the 'directional' layer as well... then, double click (sometimes take forever) the well, a new page should open. You can now see what acreage the well is spaceed for... is your acreage included?

If your acreage is pooled or spaced you should've received a declartion of pooling... it's a requirement set by the COGCC... you could've received it months ago... message me and lets talk over email if you like.

Barrett picked up the Red Hawk contracts so now Barrett should be drilling. Spacing should be around 320 acres.

Thanks guys! I'm glad Barrett will be drilling, sooner the better for us. I think Red Hawk put in a permit request for 4 wells on the section, but not sure if Barrett will keep that spacing or not. I've tried like mad to interact w/ that darned website (yes, it's the GIS GOGCC one), but I've doubled clicked forever and it just won't upload the drilling status for me except that once. I'll keep trying! Again, thanks for helping out a newbie.

Barb

Barbara Sawyer said:

Thanks guys! I'm glad Barrett will be drilling, sooner the better for us. I think Red Hawk put in a permit request for 4 wells on the section, but not sure if Barrett will keep that spacing or not. I've tried like mad to interact w/ that darned website (yes, it's the GIS GOGCC one), but I've doubled clicked forever and it just won't upload the drilling status for me except that once. I'll keep trying! Again, thanks for helping out a newbie.

Barb

Jay,

I've been out of the loop for a few months, but have been looking at the production figures for the Dutch Lake 17-25H well on the western half of Section 25/6N/62W. We own rights on the eastern half of this section, but I was just wanting to get a feel for what the western half is producing and finally found that info. However, before BBC took over from Red Hawk, there was a permit application for 4 wells on the eastern half. Would our % cover the production of any and all wells drilled there, especially if horizontal. I've never been able to get compatible w/ the GIS GoGCC map except for the most basic info (where the wells are, producing or not, but not much else) and it doesn't show the permit status for the eastern half and I've scanned all the way thru the pending data base for Weld CO and can't find any permit info for either Red Hawk or BBC for our area. Sigh.

My concern is that the western well isn't producing a lot (Jake it definitely isn't), but I'm not sure if this is because is a simple vertical well (vs. horizontal) or what. There's a green line, but not purple lines like the section to the east so it looks horizontal, but why a different color?

If anyone can shed any light on any of this, or correct my assumptions I'd sure appreciate it. Oh, when I was scanning the forums the other day I also saw mention of a rumor that there was a probate issue that was delaying any progress on the eastern half. I thought it could be drilled and the proceeds put in a type of "escrow" until that got sorted out so there wouldn't be a delay.

Last dumb question for today. There is drilling (much of it horizontal) all around section 25. My assumption is that their wells wouldn't be able to access oil from the shale formation under 25. Am I correct. On the map it just looks like a bunch of wells w/ their "straws" out (ok, don't laugh at my poor analogy) and sucking all the oil out.

Thanks everyone!

Barb S

Jay Lake said:

Barrett picked up the Red Hawk contracts so now Barrett should be drilling. Spacing should be around 320 acres.