Injection Well

I found that my mom has mineral rights on some land in Dawson Co. TX. There is an ‘injection well’ there. Mom gets little to no money. This land is southwest of Lamesa about 15 miles. First what is an ‘injection well’? I’ve had several explain it but none have answered my question as to why there isn’t an ‘oil well’ there. This ‘injection well’ as been there around 20 years according to the land owner. They are drilling all over and around that area and here we sit…I don’t have the lease in hand and will try to get one but what decides this ‘injection well’ over drilling for oil. All of mom’s neighbors are getting nice size checks and here we sit…with nothing. Thanks for any input…

Conquessia:

An injection well is a well used for the disposal of salt water. This water is pumped into a subsurface formation sealed off from other formations. A well test is conducted on these type wells on an annual basis whereas pressure is applied downhole to verify no leaks in the tubing is occurring. This test is required by the Texas Railroad Commission and tests results can be verified at their district office. The main problem involved in these wells are generally salt water spills (surface area) which is the responsibility of the operator to clean up and remediate affected areas under the supervision of the Texas Railroad Commission. In regards to your question about the oil, I am not familiar with that field but normally there are producing wells within the area of an injection well unless the well is utilized on a commercial basis.

charles s mallory said:

Conquessia:

An injection well is a well used for the disposal of salt water. This water is pumped into a subsurface formation sealed off from other formations. A well test is conducted on these type wells on an annual basis whereas pressure is applied downhole to verify no leaks in the tubing is occurring. This test is required by the Texas Railroad Commission and tests results can be verified at their district office. The main problem involved in these wells are generally salt water spills (surface area) which is the responsibility of the operator to clean up and remediate affected areas under the supervision of the Texas Railroad Commission. In regards to your question about the oil, I am not familiar with that field but normally there are producing wells within the area of an injection well unless the well is utilized on a commercial basis.

Charles,

I think we are in the Spraberry field but need to look. Again, I am new to this. If it is already leased to Chevron for this 'injection well', and there are wells all around, is it possible that Chevron would drill for oil or can they do what they want with the mineral rights? I guess I want to know why would they put an 'injection well' and not drill for oil. Sounds like we lose out on an 'oil well' because they wanted the 'injection well' for their benefit. Guess I sound greedy but just wondering.

Coquessia Franklin Lawson said:

charles s mallory said:

Conquessia:

Dear Ms. Lawson,

The Spraberry unit is under field wide unitization. In Texas, you are only bound to the terms of the field wide unit if you signed the Unit Agreement. It has been called the largest uneconomic field in the world. Over 9000 wells have been drilled in the spraberry trend.

The field is being re-pressurized by injecting water to increase the reservoir pressure. Kenny DuBose can talk much more intelligently about the process than I. In all likelihood this is the case and is not for salt water disposal from drilling operations. There is a study going on to explore the possibility of using a miscible CO2 flood to improve recoveries.

Much research would need to be done to get more definitive answers.

Conquessia:

Again, I am not familiar with that area but operators have been known to convert a well into an injection well. I don't know if any active drilling is going on around that area but if your minerals are located within the drilling section, then you might be entitled to royalties. This area might be composed of old wells which were drilled years ago and still producing but the area would not be a candidate for new wells. As I stated earlier, if you are also the surface owner where this well is located, you could be compensated for any salt water pollution that might occur as a result of this well.

Coque Franklin Lawson said:

Charles,

I think we are in the Spraberry field but need to look. Again, I am new to this. If it is already leased to Chevron for this 'injection well', and there are wells all around, is it possible that Chevron would drill for oil or can they do what they want with the mineral rights? I guess I want to know why would they put an 'injection well' and not drill for oil. Sounds like we lose out on an 'oil well' because they wanted the 'injection well' for their benefit. Guess I sound greedy but just wondering.

charles s mallory said:

Conquessia:

Thanks Buddy,

Yes, the Spraberry Field is busy. I will need to contact Chevron and get a copy of the lease. Mom does not have one. They have had those mineral rights at least 20years according to the land owner. He said the 'injection well' has been there that long, too. I'm learning. Again, Thanks so much!

Buddy Cotten said:

Dear Ms. Lawson,

The Spraberry Field is under field wide unitization. In Texas, you are only bound to the terms of the field wide unit if you signed the Unit Agreement.

The field is being re-pressurized by injecting water to increase the reservoir pressure. Kenny DuBose can talk much more intelligently about the process than I. In all likelihood this is the case and is not for salt water disposal from drilling operations.

Best,

Buddy Cotten

www.cottenoilproperties.com

Charles,

Mom does not own the surface. Dad sold the surface years ago but we knew Mom had mineral rights. Upon hearing of the activity in the area, I started looking into the situation. The more I search the more confused I get! LOL As Mom's POA, I want to be a good steward of her money, etc. I just fear she is missing out on these mineral rights since her neighbors are doing quite well.
charles s mallory said:

Conquessia:

Again, I am not familiar with that area but operators have been known to convert a well into an injection well. I don't know if any active drilling is going on around that area but if your minerals are located within the drilling section, then you might be entitled to royalties. This area might be composed of old wells which were drilled years ago and still producing but the area would not be a candidate for new wells. As I stated earlier, if you are also the surface owner where this well is located, you could be compensated for any salt water pollution that might occur as a result of this well.

Charles,

charles s mallory said:

Conquessia:

Thanks Buddy,

Yes, the Spraberry Field is busy. I will need to contact Chevron and get a copy of the lease. Mom does not have one. They have had those mineral rights at least 20years according to the land owner. He said the 'injection well' has been there that long, too. I'm learning. Again, Thanks so much!

Buddy Cotten said:

Dear Ms. Lawson,

The Spraberry Field is under field wide unitization. In Texas, you are only bound to the terms of the field wide unit if you signed the Unit Agreement.

The field is being re-pressurized by injecting water to increase the reservoir pressure. Kenny DuBose can talk much more intelligently about the process than I. In all likelihood this is the case and is not for salt water disposal from drilling operations.

Best,

Buddy Cotten

www.cottenoilproperties.com

Conquessia:

Good luck in your findings and hope you can get some positive answers.