Injection Well "Producing" Question

Can anyone tell me why a waterflood unit would be listed as “producing” on GIS? I thought waterflood units were injection or waste deposit wells. I have mineral interests in three of the Bogard Waterflood units, #801 #601 #214 in Haskell County, Texas.

With my thanks.

Mary,

A waterflood is a series of producers and injectors. In simplest terms, kind of an alternating pattern. The injectors keep reservoir pressure up and help push oil to the producers. So as a whole, it will have injected water and produced hydrocarbons.

Historically, these units were formed where there were multiple shallow vertical wells and production had fallen. Yet there was still a lot of oil to recover which could economically benefit all the owners. So the area and wells are unitized and some wells are converted into injection wells, mostly using the produced water from the wells. The underlying strategy, based on the underlying geology, is for the water to be injected into the same formation and to “push” the oil toward the remaining producing wells. Basically, the mineral owners agree to allocation of the increased production among everyone, whether they own minerals underlying the injection wells or the producing wells, in exchange for many years of continuing production and royalties.

Thank you for your prompt reply. Yes, I understand what injections wells are for, however, my question was/is why would the GIS Tracker say that these units are active and producing if the Bogard Units are waterflood units which means they are either waste deposit wells or injection wells rather than production wells?

“I thought waterflood units were injection or waste deposit wells” - That is incorrect

A waterflood unit has multiple wells, some of which are injectors and some of which are producers. Thus it is active and producing, and also injecting. Maybe that isn’t clear, but I think that is what both of us were trying to convey above.

That is helpful actually. Thank you.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.