Hello All, First time poster, really novice in all this and was pointed here to get my feet wet. Basically, I’m in the process of inheriting some mineral rights. Long story short, a grandfather I never knew I had died with them in his name at a youngish age, being survived by my mom who also died at a youngish age, and never got them in her name, not sure she knew about them (her dad and mom split and her mom was holding a grudge). Anyways, I’m trying to understand more of what I actually have and what I’ve jumped in to. I’ve read a decent amount of what’s online but can’t say I totally understand what the future holds.
- How do I figure out if my mineral rights are worth anything?
- How can I tell if they have been drilled and by whom?
- Letters come asking to buy or lease, how do I known it’s a good deal and in general, is selling or leasing an actual good option?
- What power do I really have over the minerals outside of signing the forms that come in?
- Anything else I should know or resources greatly appreciated.