Inherited royalty Interest question

I just received a unsolicited offer to sell a O&G royalty interest that may exist in NM, in the name of my deceased father (died 2008). It’s from an oil and gas company out of Austin, TX that buys O&G interests. I’m unaware of any interest he would have had in Lea County, NM where it supposedly is located. Can anyone point me to a process I can take to search out the existence of the possible royalty interest that I only have my dads name from which to initiate any search at Lea County, NM? If it exists, I need to take steps to get it into the names of the heirs and I would have no interest in selling. I have not responded to the offer letter. Thanks for any ideas!

1 Like

If your father was Jesse, I don’t see anything in Lea County either. You can hire a land service company (title researcher) to dig further or ask the potential buyer to send over some title documents.

I think Permian’s idea about asking for title documents is a good idea.

Ask for title documents, yes. Is it possible that your dad inherited the interest from another family member, say, an uncle or aunt? Best to contact an attorney to help with the land research and assist with title curative to get the interest in the heirs names.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.