Inherited Mineral Rights RB

My mother inherited mineral rights in ‘85. She has never followed up on making sure everything was in her name. I am also unsure everything was included in the original probate although the probate does say everything was left to my mother…it just does not specify all the rights she has. Does any one know the steps I need to take in getting all of this into her name? I am her trustee, she is still alive, but an attorney right now is not a possibility.

I would start your search using www.okcountyrecords.com to see if information goes far enough back digitally to see if the probate was filed and in which county. If the probate was done correctly, then she should be fine. If not, then some followup may be needed in person at the courthouse, but owners can walk in and ask for help in how to search.

The probate order probably included an “after discovered property” clause. If so, and assuming this was an Oklahoma probate, a notice can be filed with the land records in which the legal description is added. This usually does the trick. You would probably want to make sure that the minerals are then deeded into her trust to avoid probate at her death.

This post is not legal, tax or investment advice. Reading or responding to this post does not create an attorney/client relationship.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.