Inherited mineral rights- Need help for location of George May Survey Abstract 25

Hello,
My mother grew up in Dallas, TX and moved to Hollywood, CA in 1946 and had 3 sons. Years after my mother’s parent’s passed away, she received information from an agent working for an oil company that she owned a 1/3 share of mineral rights located in Rusk County, TX. The agent wanted her to confirm some info., however, she passed away before responding to the letter in 2015.

My mother’s Trustee (my older brother) said that he could not determine the value of the mineral rights, however, he did retain an real estate attorney located in Lufkin, TX who filed an “Affidavit of Facts Confirming Identity of Heirs” (myself and my two brothers) due to the mineral rights, which was filed in the Official Records of Rusk County, TX in 2016 referencing the following property:
“127 acres of land, more or less, part of the George May Survey, Abstract No. 25, and being the same land described in that certain deed dated March 30, 1970, from Annie Lee Weatherby to L. J. Hodges, Jr., and wife, Lois Jean Hodges, as recorded in Volume 908, Page 413, of the Deed Records of Rusk County, Texas.”

Question: Do all the owners of the mineral rights have to be notified before an oil company can drill for oil, or for other minerals? Or, do they only need a majority of the ownership. Are the funds held in trust for those beneficiaries that were unable to be contacted?

I was unable to find any information regarding the location of the George May Survey, or the location or address of 127 acres online, in order to determine if there was any oil found near this property.

Gregory, A-25 is located between Henderson, Texas and New Summerfield, Texas. There are 2 producing vertical oil wells/5 other vertical oil wells(uncertain of status)/8 plugged oil wells/2 plugged gas wells and numerous dry holes that were drilled possibly years and years ago.

The 2 producing oil wells:

Lease # 14314/API 401-33342/Well completed May 04, 2004/P.G. JR. Well # 1

Lease # 14736/API 401-34536/Well completed January 11, 2008/K. C. R. Timberland LTD Well # 1

http://webapps.rrc.texas.gov/DP/drillDownQueryAction.do?fromPublicQuery=Y&name=K.%2BC.%2BR.%2BTIMBERLAND%2BLTD&univDocNo=484819377

GIS map of Rusk County A-25:

DOUBLE LEFT CLICK ON MAP TO ENLARGE

Clint Liles

1 Like

Clint, Thanks for the info.
So, does someone have to check the county records to find out the location of the 127 acres based upon “Volume 908, Page 413, of the Deed Records of Rusk County, Texas” , and then look at the map to see if there has been any oil wells on the property?