Inherited mineral rights in OK Custer, Blaine, Dewey county

I’ll bet she met my mom and dad there! They used to go to the meetings all the time. Now I go! (Great place to learn about minerals, how to lease, what laws will affect us, etc. Thee is a link to NARO at the top of the page I think. Or go to their website.

1 Like

She very may have! I just know she was really dressed up in the picture, she looked so beautiful! Perhaps when we get the probate over and all settles down I will join that organization. I am so glad I stumbled upon this site, you have been so helpful and I have read other posts that have answered my questions too. It’s great!!.

Thanks again, I have to jump off here and get into the OK tax Commission site to learn how to use it. Have a blessed night!

The OCC parts that are the most helpful are the wellrecords site and the OAP case dockets site, plus the dockets status.

Wellrecords: Test

Case dockets: OAP

Let me know if you need the other one.

You will also need the OK tax site for production. Gross Production

1 Like

Another really useful thing to do is look up the last year or so of the investor presentations of the operators in your areas. Take the hype with a grain of salt because they emphasize the positive, but read what they say. They often post wells of interest, plans for the future, etc. The second quarter 2019 will be coming out about now.

A daily free blog is OKEnergyToday

1 Like

Thanks so much for that information. I have been into the OCC site and have looked up two wells thus far. The information we have does not list all the names of wells, I have several names that I was able to look up and did get the information on those. How do we find the names of the wells. I have the coordinates to look up the lease production unit number but not the name of some of the wells so when I go into that site the information that is populated is the PUN and the name of the well. We even paid for a professional appraiser to do the gas and oil and they didn’t put all the names on the appraisal, just the coordinates and the values

OTC Portal for PUN Search If you have the PUN you can use the above site to determine the well name.

1 Like

That is just it, I am guessing my sister doesn’t have those PUN numbers nor the appraisal results do not show the PUN numbers, just the location, status and appraised value. We have everything but that and there are a few names of wells we have. Also, is all of Blaine township listed under number 16 or number is the township 19? I am wondering if that number was transposed. I tried to look up the production history on a well in Blaine township that is according to the appraiser still under lease but I am finding the well abandoned which is in conflich with what the appraiser is reporiting.

With regard to the news post from Oklahoma Energy Today. I just read that and thanks for sharing the link. What happens when there is a huge turnover of company partnerships? These are the counties that we are inheriting from. Does this mean that the leases will have to be renewed or do they just continue on? Just wondering what to expect.

Please post one set of coordinates. Are you referring to latitude and longitude or legal description ( e.g. Sec. 10-16N-14W)?

1 Like

Thanks for that information. I am trying to use that site but the drop down menu has tons of forms to select from, which one should I use? What does API # stand for? Is the company section the people who are actually working the wells, like Paloma and Continental?

For example, on this one for Blaine township the coordinants are E/2SW/4 section 7, township 16 North range 13 WIM and when I put that in it come up with an abandoned well unless I am doing something wrong. What is the difference between longitude and legal description? That is why I was wondering it the township was 19 instead of 16 because I was looking at other posts for the same township and they are all 19

I am in the site for OK tax commission under Search PUN by lease legal description and inputing the section, township and range. Also tried to go into the OCC imgaging well logs but am getting nothing with the information i have, confusing.

Sec. 7-16N-13W is located in Blaine County. My search did not reveal any active wells producing from the section. The appraiser may have assigned a value because a few leases have been taken in the last couple of years.

1 Like

The API number is a unique well identifier number assigned by the American Petroleum Institute. Most helpful to have. The PUN number is a number which is assigned to a Producing unit in OK. It may change if the operator changes or if they combine two wells into one meter.

On the OCC well records site, you have to search by surface location or well name. Sometimes you tract will be on the bottom hole location, so I always search the contiguous sections just in case.

On the Gross Production website, you can also search by well name =" leasename". I have found it better to search for the bottom hole location and then the surface. Go figure why it is backwards.

For a probate valuation, the engineer usually takes all the tracts and assigns a value to them in proportion to the known producing wells, the potential for future wells and the lease bonuses in the area.

1 Like

Thanks so much for that information. Now I know what an API number is. I have been trying to search for the surface location but now I’m wondering if these numbers are even right. I did find two of the wells by the coordinates I have but I knew the name of the wells to which helped trememdously. The well names I have are not the “lease name” of my Mother though, do you mean I can put her name in and find that information? What do you mean by searching for the “botttom hole location and then the surface.”?

Thanks so much, now how did you look that up? I tried for an hour this afternoon when I had a break and I couldn’t get that. What am I doing wrong?

I just figured out what the legal description is…still learning. Thanks anyway!

A lease is a legal instrument giving the right to drill, but not the necessity. The primary term is the time in which they “can” drill. The lease is considered active during that time even if no wells. If they do drill and the well is economic, then the lease moves into the secondary term which last as long as there is production under the terms of the lease. The first well may die, but if they drill a second within the “saving terms” of the lease (might be 90 or 180 days) then the lease will continue.

1 Like

A vertical hole will have a surface hole and the bottom hole pretty much on top of each other in the same section. A horizontal hole can a have a surface location in one section and then drill 10-15,000 feet away and have a bottom hole location in a completely different section. Think of a bendy straw. The short pice is the vertical portion of the well and the bended long piece is the productive horizontal part of the well. Most wells drilled now are horizontals in OK. That is why you need to look in multiple locations on the tax site.

Your mother’s name is probably not on the well, but it might be. In the old days, many were named after the landowner. Smith #1, etc. The section township and range are the keys.

Some lessees do not file the original lease, but file only a memorandum of lease in the courthouse. The memorandum should have the description of the property on it, just not the lease terms.

1 Like