Inherited Mineral Deed - Burke County, ND

Hello, My dad had a Mineral Deed in his lockbox when he passed along with other old stock certificates. I am hoping for advice, guidance and ultimately some good news, all help will be appreciated. The section is west​ & SW ​of section 34, Township 159 N, Range 94 W. Burke County ND.​ Dated 1953.​

Any thoughts on where to start? Or does anybody know if this is parcel is active?

• Dan

Condolences on the passing of your father.

That parcel has an active well. Setterland 159-94-34C-27-1H API 33-013-01531. Petro-Hunt LLC is the operator. You need to contact them to see if your dad was in pay status. You may have to also look for unclaimed funds in the state where he resided as well as North Dakota treasurer’s office. Petro-Hunt may require a probate to release funds. The well has been online since 2011.

Thank you for your advice, I will contact both as well as UC funds in both states.

Thank you again for your advice, I did all that you suggested. I left a VM at Petro-Hunt and also came across money due to my Dad on MN’s unclaimed funds site for an unrelated matter!

I failed to mention the deed in my Dad’s deposit box is in my Grandfathers name. Do you think this or the fact that the deed is dated 1953 will pose any issues? *There are 2 living siblings.

-Dan

I am not an attorney, but I suspect that you will have to do some probate work to get the minerals passed from the grandfather to the father and then to the living siblings. Hopefully, there was a will. If not, then the intestate laws of the state of residence(s) will prevail.

Actually, the rule is that intestate laws of the state where the property is located will control. :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 60 days. New replies are no longer allowed.