Inherited from brother

My brother passed last month. I am his only heir. We have been getting mineral rights royalty payments from Northeast Natural energy. Natural gas wells 18 producing and 4 different contracts. I am sending heirship and death certificate to NNE. My question is does my brothers contracts/leases automatically transfer as well or do I have to sign all new contracts? I would like to do new contracts with all at a 15% instead of 2 that only pay 12.5%. I feel I am in a good place to renegotiate as the wells are producing and many more are planned with the Phoenix project. I have to do the same with EQ. Any ideas or thoughts??

My condolences to you.

Doubtful that you can get new leases if they are held by producing wells. Depending upon where you live, you will probably have to probate the will, or file under intestate rules. Make sure that you file all title/probate work in each county where the minerals are located with your name and address. Also contact each producing company to inform them of his passing and ask them what further documentation they need. Operators may have different requirements.

1 Like

Visit with an attorney where located in the state where the minerals are located to learn how to effectively transfer your brother’s interest to yourself.

This post is not legal, tax or investment advice. Reading or responding to this post does not create an attorney/client relationship.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.