Inheritance -mineral rights

My dad died about five years ago and left mineral rights (Canadian county) to 3 of us. What is process to put in our names and do I need lawyer. Keep having buying inquiries but not ready yet.

In all likelihood, you will need to do a summary probate. But you will initially need legal help to determine if the probate is needed.

my Illinois lawyer is unfamiliar with mineral rights. How do I find a reputable lawyer in the area?

Bass Law and Tim Dowd are both great.

Would you know the city?

They are both out of OKC.

My company has used both over the years and had nothing but positive experiences.

Did your Father deed them to you and the others? Or did he just pass away and own them? Was his estate settled? What state were the minerals located. You have to know all of this first.

I recommend, Rachel Talasaz – Attorney

Talasaz Law PLLC

6226 E 101st St, Suite 300

Tulsa, OK 74137

918-928-5030

Licensed in OK, TX My siblings and I are in Florida. She took care of everything for us after our mother passed away. She had to go to probate court for us. We also had her set up a Transfer on Death Deed for our loved ones that will inherit our mineral rights.

1 Like

I believe you would need to have your father’s will probated in the county(ies) in which he owns mineral rights.

I can personally recommend The Title Law Group, PLLC, as they handled a probate for my family, and did a very nice job.

Their info is:

301 NW 63rd St., Suite 350 Oklahoma City, Oklahoma 73116 (405) 608-1900

Your father’s will would only need to be probated in one of the Oklahoma counties where he owned minerals. Once that probate is completed a copy of the final order can be filed in the other counties where the minerals are located.

Tim Dowd is correct, you are looking at a summary probate which generally requires 60-75 from initial filing to final order. Also, a summary probate almost never requires travel to Oklahoma by the family members as the attorney can make all required appearances. Assuming that the probate is uncontested, of course.

This post is not legal, tax or investment advice. Reading or responding to this post does not create an attorney/client relationship.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.