Information on a Whiting well in Sheridan County, MT

Has anyone heard about drilling starting up by Whiting Oil? A temporary spacing unit comprised of all sections of 25 and 36, T31N-R56E was approved the end of April. I was wondering how long to expect before something is posted on the oil and gas website if they do drill. Thanks

Deann:

There are some factors to consider after a temp. spacing is approved. First, what are the expiration dates on the leases? In some cases the operator waits until the expiration date nears since their rigs may be assigned to several other drills or the operator may be evaluating other wells in the area in regards to production. It is important to remember that because a temp. spacing or even a drilling permit is approved, the operator may decide not to drill. Until the location is prepared for drilling and a rig is on site, the possibiltiy of a no drill is a factor. I believe that Sheridan County will see increased drilling acitivity over the next several years and I currently have minerals in that county which also is temp. spaced. I was told by Marathon, who has us temp. spaced, that they plan a drill in the latter part of this year or next. Again, when I see solid evidence (rig in place), I will believe it. Good luck on yours!

Thanks for the insight! We signed our lease the latter part of 2008 I believe, so it could be awhile.

Deann:

I am in the same shape as you as my lease was negotiated in late 2008. We have minerals in Roosevelt County and Williams County, ND as well. I just keep a daily tab on the activities in these areas. The problem is that there are thousands of undrilled acres in these areas and just so many rigs to drill the wells. My hope is that the rig count will increase over the next few months and our chances should improve for some activity. Also, you could be contacted within 6 months of your expiration date in regards to top leasing. I feel this type of activity will increase, especially in the Montana area, over the next couple of years.

Deann Overland said:

Thanks for the insight! We signed our lease the latter part of 2008 I believe, so it could be awhile.

My family actually owns those mineral rights that you are asking about. Yes Whiting Oil did ask for a temp spacing unit, and as of recently we are not aware of any action taken on their part. We signed our lease in 2008.

Lenne:

Your minerals are very close to ours in the Sheridan County area. I will be sure to post any activity that I am aware of in this area of Sheridan County. Again, I think that things in Montana will begin to pick up in regards to drilling activities as more and more rigs are expected to enter the Bakken play. I know that I'm ready for some serious activity in both Roosevelt and Sheridan Counties. One positive fact for all of us is that we stand to gain alot more (bonus/%royalty) than we signed for in 2008 if we get to top lease or extend our current leases.

Lenne Buzzell said:

My family actually owns those mineral rights that you are asking about. Yes Whiting Oil did ask for a temp spacing unit, and as of recently we are not aware of any action taken on their part. We signed our lease in 2008.

We also signed our lease in late 2008 for those mineral rights. I am not sure how many owners there are for this specific township/range/sections. In fact if anyone could tell me where to find this information it would be of great help to me. Thanks

maybe we are related then?

Deann Overland said:

We also signed our lease in late 2008 for those mineral rights. I am not sure how many owners there are for this specific township/range/sections. In fact if anyone could tell me where to find this information it would be of great help to me. Thanks

I believe that the actual land was at one time owned by my husbands great grandparents who came over from Norway. The last name of the family was Overland. My husband still has relatives living in the area that we have recently reconnected with. Is your area from the Montana area?