Indigenous Mineral Rights

I have been put in charge of finding out about some mineral rights in the Montana area. These rights are on reservation. So far I’ve been spinning my wheels to grasp and understand the complexity of this project. So any help on what to do and make sure it’s done correctly versus going into it blind like I did expected it be a easy chore(which knowing now was a timely mistake thats lead me here). I appreciate all the help and looking forward to share and discuss this with anyone whom is willing to help and or take lead with me to get this done In a timely manner. Thank you

@Sean_Brummett, you might start at the Montana Board of Oil and Gas site, which has a map that allows you to see if there is oil and gas activity on your properties. https://bogapps.dnrc.mt.gov/dataminer/

Hello , thank you… I’m looking to lease it out there rights.

@Sean_Brummett, typically the oil company will contact you if they are leasing in the area. Usually the best you can do is to make sure that the county records are up to date with your ownership documents.

If you have the rights and are indigenous, then you may also have to deal with the Bureau of Indian affairs. That adds another layer of complexity. Start with the state website first. The county courthouses are the holders of the official deeds and probates.

1 Like

What tribe are you in? Ive never dealt with Montana but have been to the Bureau of Indian Affairs division of Land Title and Records in Aberdeen, South Dakota that oversees a majority of the tribes deed records a few times. In 99% of the cases Ive seen, deeds arent filed in the local courthouse if they stay within the family, so its impossible to figure it out online or at the local courthouse. If you know your allotment number and family name, you can call the BIA in Aberdeen to request the updated family ownership.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.