Income tax on mineral rights income for foreigners

I have some questins regarding tax for non US residents on mineral rights income. We are four persons residing in Norway, Europe sharing the income from oil and gas production near our inherited property in Divide County ND. Twice a year I get a wire transfer from Hunt Oil. On the last transfer last December, I was informed that the (gross) revenue was approx. $ 1356, tax $ 97, and other deductons $ 407. “Other deductons” is explained in the statement as “federal backup withholding”. What actually is that? Tax and “other deductions” are more than 37 % of the gross revenue. That is a pretty high tax on a prettu low income, also to Scandinavian standards. As a foreigner, I don’t have a US social security or tax I.D. number. Does anyone know if I can get some of this very hig tax refunded? If so, how shall I proceed?

Do you have an ITIN number? As a foreigner you can not use IRS to claim a “tax-refund”. If you have an ITIN, your W-7 formula under: Reason you’re submitting Form W-7 you must use a, f and write the Tax Treaty between US and Norway, Tready number and where in the treaty mineral owners dont need to pay federal tax. We are only paying local tax in Williams County ND. Lars fra Danmark