Identification of formation

How can i tell what formation my existing and upcoming wells are sourcing. Such as what shelf of the formation. Can this be identified by the location description or by searching through the permit information?

I have bad news, a bench or shelf of a formation is still in a formation and the NDIC O&G Division can group a number of formations together to the benefit of an operator such as the top of the Lodgepole to the bottom of the Three Forks can be called a common source of supply and a well sourcing oil from any of them would be assumed to be sourcing and producing oil from all of them from the very first well. Pugh clause out the window. An actual pugh clause that would work is that strata would be released XXX feet above and below the perforations of the well casing. Another way might be to spell out in a lease what the operator is going after if they claim to only want to explore one strata/formation, that the lessee releases all other strata above or below even if the NDIC declares several formations as a common source of supply.

I can envision some sour faces on landmen and lessees right now because if they promised it in the lease, it actually would be enforceable because like the mineral owner, the lessee can agree to anything and then that is the agreement. A pugh clause requires the release of non-producing minerals but when the state declares that to draw a drop of oil from one formation is to produce all of them, then there would be no non-producing minerals to release.

Now then, with that said, the operator may have intentions of exploring a certain bench or shelf in a formation but that does not mean that is where the wellbore will end up. If the operator drills to the bottom 14,000 feet to the Deadwood and a formation farther up, Red River, Three Forks, upper, middle or lower Bakken, Lodgepole and it's various components/ several other formations, looks more promising, they could plug back and horizontal into the most promising formation, whatever that may be. Permits to drill are confidential, and aside from the lessee/operators assertions of what they intend to do, you probably aren't going to learn what formation the well is producing until the confidential status of the well expires. Ignore the junk above unless you are interested in a pugh clause, which is about the only practical reason I can see for your question. I hope this helps.

No interest in the pugh clause, but that is good information. It was more a curiosity for me than anything. I was looking at the drill maps and notice some sections with what appear to be 7-8 horizontals in a spacing unit. I wanted to get some clarity why these sections are being tapped to the degree they are, while others in the northern Bakken seem to have a single or maybe double well spanning there sections.

My first assumption would be that areas in Burke Cty are in the early stages of exploration. I am hoping (as most of us are) that the sections in Burke will look similar to our neighbors to the south.