I got missed on a Mineral Oil Lease

My question is who do I contact if I was missed on a lease? In my case my brother and aunt and two cousins have leases and some how the Leasee missed me. I went to NDRIN where I was able to pull the Lesees' name, name of Broker and Oil Company. So, what I have done thus far is send a copy of my birth certificate and driver's license to all 3 trying to prove who I am. Anything more specific or anyone more specific that I should contact? I contacted the Oil Company a few months back and they said they couldn't help me unless something was recorded at the recorder's office showing me on the lease. Any ideas??

Thanks-

Lou

If you inherited the minerals, there should have been a probate of a will or estate that should have produced mineral deed in your name. If the person who left you the minerals passed away in a state other than where the minerals exist, you probably need to open probate in the state where the minerals are, so you can file the mineral deed in your name in the county in which the minerals lie. At that point you don’t have to lease to whoever has the well. You could lease to anyone. In fact if evidence of your ownership exists you can lease to anyone right now. I’d contact 4 or 5 leasing co’s and tell them you’d like to lease, township and range and how many mineral acres you have. You aren’t required to lease with the same people your family members have. I hate to hear of people getting the runaround. I hope this helps. RWK

Thanks so much RW for the info I appreciate it! Lou

r w kennedy said:

If you inherited the minerals, there should have been a probate of a will or estate that should have produced mineral deed in your name. If the person who left you the minerals passed away in a state other than where the minerals exist, you probably need to open probate in the state where the minerals are, so you can file the mineral deed in your name in the county in which the minerals lie. At that point you don't have to lease to whoever has the well. You could lease to anyone. In fact if evidence of your ownership exists you can lease to anyone right now. I'd contact 4 or 5 leasing co's and tell them you'd like to lease, township and range and how many mineral acres you have. You aren't required to lease with the same people your family members have. I hate to hear of people getting the runaround. I hope this helps. RWK

I am in a similar situation...What happens when there are multiple leases on the same property? How can I verify mineral owners on a particular property?

HD

Herb-

Are your mineral rights in North Dakota? If they are -you can go to NDRIN.com which is the North Dakota Recorders Office online website. There is a $25 a month charge, however it has been priceless to me. You just need the County name where the Mineral Rights are at, Section, Township and Parcel#. You also can put in the last name(s) of the grantor's to narrow the search. This is how I found out that everyone was on board but me. If for example you find your other relatives on there- you can print or just view their leases online. Once you have all the info put together then you can contact the Oil Company with that info and they should be more than willing to help you as they have been in my case. Good Luck! Lou

Herb Douthit said:

I am in a similar situation...What happens when there are multiple leases on the same property? How can I verify mineral owners on a particular property?

HD

Thanks Lou…the property is in W. TX…

Hello Herb,

I am a landman working throughout the Williston Basin.

Thanks - Jerry