I can’t figure out acreage

I know people have gone through this before, but I must be really dense. Could someone walk me through this please. I know it is really small. But I am trying to get all the mineral and gas airfoil on excel. Thanking you in advance.

The Northeast Quarter of the Southeast Quarter of the Southwest Quarter, of South Half of the Southeast Quarter of the Southwest Quarter and The Southwest Quarter of the Southwest Quarter of the Southeast Quarter in Section 34, Township1 South, Range 4 West, in Stephens County, Oklahoma.

Looks like there are 11.25 gross acres in the legal description (unless my math is wrong) however, it is possible to own only a fractional interest thereof. This also assumes no irregular section sizes.

Robin, I don’t think you gave the description correct. The comma after SW/4 & before South Half, is probably a mistake. Please send again as what you sent is not a “correct” legal description. And what is “airfoil”? Never heard that term.

Don’t worry. It is hard the first time you try to figure it out. The best thing is to read it from right to left. Looks like you might have a typo, so that may what is throwing it.

NE4 SE4 SW4; (<- very important semi colon there) and the S2 SE4 SW4; and the SW4 SW4 SE4 in 34-1S-4W. Start at the end of the description and work backwards.

SW4 SW4 SE4- start in the SE quarter of the section (160 acres). I have shown the whole south half of the section. The SE corner is in red on the right. Now go to the SW quarter shown in orange (40 acres) Then the SW quarter of the that quarter (10 acres for that description).

S2 SE4 SW4. Now move to the west to the southwest quarter (160 acres), then the SE4 (40 acres), then the South half of it. (20 acres for that description)

NE4 SE4 SW4 Now move just a bit north in that quarter section. (160 acres) down to the SE quarter again (40 acres) and the NE4 which is 10 acres for that total description.

Now add the white boxes together. 10+20+10=40 acres. You may own all of the 40 acres or you may own an undivided portion of it. You have to go to the probate documents or deed or bill of sale that transferred title to you. If you have 1/4th of the total description, then you have 40 acres divided by 4 which is 10 acres which is proportional spread out amount the white boxes.

Hope that helps you understand how to walk through it.

3 Likes

Todd, this is how the Trust reads. I tried to be careful but I must have missed something.

Thank you all for your help. Now I can figure out these in the future. There are more that I need the get a handle on. I appreciate the help. Sorry I screwed up on the legal description, I really thought I was being careful but there were too many quarters in there!

You cannot verify your interest based solely off your legal description. The legal description is a mapping point for where your minerals are physically located, however you would need a title opinion to know your exact interest within the tract. You can hire someone to find this information out for you, I personally would never hire someone as 5 landman can give you 5 different answers depending on their qualifications, and you’d be mind blown how often a “landman” is wrong.

If someone is interested in acquiring the minerals from you or leasing them, they will go through the due diligence of finding out your exact interest whenever they contact you. If you are just wanting to know out of curiosity, I would recommend against hiring someone.

2 Likes

I correct title attorneys all the time. Been landman for 39 years next month.

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.