I am looking for information about property that I own in wetzel county

I am looking for information on property that my grandfather left to me in his will and wetzel county there are three siblings that own each a portion of it. I have gotten to letters from lawyers who want to lease the property. But it keeps changing and I can’t seem to get an answer. The last letter I got is offering me $100 a month. That just doesn’t seem right I know nothing about natural gas leases or selling. After some investigating I found out that my half siblings are looking to sell. I would like to know what this entails I would like to sell as well if that’s what they want to do. I have no idea how to go about this I have no idea what lawyer is is doing this now there’s been so many. I would also like to know about how much selling this property would be. I lost my job during the pandemic and I’m about to lose my house. Please help me figure out what is going on. I have the lawyer’s papers that prove that I own the property. What do I do now? Thank you for your help in advance

I can provide help, need more information.

The lawyer’s papers should have a location listed on them that describes the minerals. If there has been past production on the property, then you can go to the state treasurer’s office and see if any funds are being held in your grandfather’s name (check in WV and in the state in which he resided to see past funds are being held). If the area has favorable geology, you may be getting offers from various landmen or attorneys asking to lease. When you lease, it is commonly for three years and they pay a bonus up front which is the “rent” for those three years. No one can really promise you $100 a month. Red flag for me… If they drill and the well is successful, then you will receive royalties in proportion to how many acres you own and what the royalty amount is and if a horizontal well, how much of the well spacing includes your acres. If they drill and the well is not successful, then there is no $100 a month.

You could contact the National Association of Royalty Owners for free. Their website is www.naro-us.org. They have an Appalachian Chapter. One of the officers is probably more familiar with WV. They can explain how leasing works, how sales work, etc. The first draft of a lease that is offered to you is probably not in your favor and you will need to do some negotiation to get it better. Keep all of your offers organized by company and date. If anyone calls, ask for a letter in writing and a copy of the draft lease. Easier to not get confused by who said what over the phone. I am so sorry you are in a stressful situation right now. Someone on the forum may be able to tell you what offers they are getting so you get a feel for the waters. Be cautious though…

If EQT or another operator has drilled this land in the past, try contacting the Division Order department and seeing if they have a record for your grandfather. If you are supposed to be getting royalties, they will need a copy of the lawyer’s documents stating that you are an heir.

OOG Well Work Permitting Report This is the site that I have for looking up wells in WV. Not sure if it is a current link, but you can see which wells have drilled around you. Try not to rush into anything until you get good data and understand what you have.

I can definitely use all the help that I can get. I would like to know who you are before I give you any personal information. I’ve been getting ripped off by this eqt company for probably 6 to 8 years. So has my family and one of my family members has a lawyer but I haven’t heard from him. I know nothing about natural gas royalties anything. Tell me a little about yourself so I can know that I’m not getting ripped off by someone else. Sorry I have to be suspicious. You’re probably a great person. Thanks in advance. Have blessed day.

20-year Petroleum landman from West Virginia and worked a lot of SW PA. I’m here to help and provide as much information I can to help you with EQT.

If you choose to sell sell the land keep your mineral rights you never know what’s down there. I am a landowner as well as minerals in wv. Get you a lawyer if they present any lease deals to you. Make sure you spell out all conditions and stipulations in the lease and that they agree to them in writing before you sign any contracts. They will not abide by the contracts any way but you will have a much better foot hold if it has to go to court. Do not trust anyone without written and notarized agreements. Make sure you keep up with your taxes and keep them paid because they will sell your land and mineral rights on the court house steps. Always assume that they want what you have and if they can cheat you out of it all the better. Be very careful

This topic was automatically closed after 90 days. New replies are no longer allowed.