I am a recently new mineral owner with lots of questions & could use any extra help plz & thnx

My brother left me 80 acres in Duchesne Utah I know it is a proven area my brother leased it in 1985 i believe my question is if there is unclaimed moneys on this were do I look? thank you

One more thing my brother past away in 1993 & I am a soul survive,r. I also have a pretty good suspicion my first cousin who is a bit older than me wrongfully managed to involve her self in the mineral lease my question is IF by chance this happened who,s fault is it.... does the oil company got to pay me & go after her or do I have to go after her??? thanx

Virgiann, go to my website, www.westernmineralconsultants.com, then under Resources on the home page you will be able to access the national unclaimed property website.

Best of luck to you,

Dirk

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!! Iam a little out of my comfort zone here.But... hope to change that soon.

Dirk Dieterich said:

Virgiann, go to my website, www.westernmineralconsultants.com, then under Resources on the home page you will be able to access the national unclaimed property website.

Best of luck to you,

Dirk

Virgiann, I am not sure I understand what you feel your cousin might have done but, it has been my experience that heirship is not something you can really manipulate. If your brother died with a will the heirs are only those stated in the will. If he did not have a will the heirship follows descent and distribution as mandated by the state.

Dirk

Virgiann thompson Zufelt( said:

One more thing my brother past away in 1993 & I am a soul survive,r. I also have a pretty good suspicion my first cousin who is a bit older than me wrongfully managed to involve her self in the mineral lease my question is IF by chance this happened who,s fault is it.... does the oil company got to pay me & go after her or do I have to go after her??? thanx

My brother had received these mineral shares from my late grandfather.It was a real shocker to the whole family considering my brother was 15 maybe 16 at the time.My brother then past away at the age of 33 yes he had a will that included myself our sister & his minor son.My sister & nephew both proceeded him in death. In 2010 my cousin contacted me with this info of Branta oil seeking to lease these mineral shares.She went on to say her & her siblings had leased there 60 of these 80 shares it was a good deal & I should also sign with them.I was pretty sure they had no legal right to them. But I had already moved to Colorado.My daughter being in Utah tried to research it.Needless to say she stirred up a hornets nest, I left it alone from there Newfeild since assumed the lease. The well has hit production .I have been waiting on my payment took forever.Finally received notice I would be receiving papers I would need to sign & notarize & send back.Still nothing .I called to find out.. as they was preparing these papers they found I have another well & more moneys due me & because of the large sum of $ it involves they had to bring in there royalties lawyer who is preparing these documents.Now I admit I am not real educated in this business BUT.......I do not think they just discovered a bunch of hidden money owed to me.I would like to believe a major oil company would be a bit sharper than that. Keep in mind I had never legally took ownership in my name.Also my cousin was a person of trust in our small community not to mention a notary and worked at the local refinery through 2 turn around,s for close to 15 years or so.Please let me know if there is a chance that this could even happen thank you for your time.

Dirk Dieterich said:

Virgiann, I am not sure I understand what you feel your cousin might have done but, it has been my experience that heirship is not something you can really manipulate. If your brother died with a will the heirs are only those stated in the will. If he did not have a will the heirship follows descent and distribution as mandated by the state.

Dirk

Virgiann thompson Zufelt( said:

Virgiann, your writeup is complicated. My bet is that the cousin also received a part of the grandfathers estate along with your brother. That would explain how they have ownership as well. Just a guess on my part but it seems logical.

You indicate that the cousin signed a lease but I dont see that you did? I dont know Utah law but in most states that makes you an unleased mineral interest and you retain your full decimal ownership but the working interest owner(s) would recover their costs plus whatever Utah law allows before you start receiving royalty checks. Your cousin would receive their checks (royalty adjusted) from the date of first production.

Again, without out actually seeing the documents filed of record I cant be sure, but I think you are worried about something you need no worry about.

Dirk

Yes I also signed on to the lease as I stated no one but my brother received any oil shares due to the fact he was the only one who moved in with grandparent's and worked the original homestead of these mineral right's until it could be sold due to grandparent's health and inability to do the needed farming on a daily basis.Oh well I hope you are right about the oil well haha!!! thanks again for you time

Dirk Dieterich said:

Virgiann, your writeup is complicated. My bet is that the cousin also received a part of the grandfathers estate along with your brother. That would explain how they have ownership as well. Just a guess on my part but it seems logical.

You indicate that the cousin signed a lease but I dont see that you did? I dont know Utah law but in most states that makes you an unleased mineral interest and you retain your full decimal ownership but the working interest owner(s) would recover their costs plus whatever Utah law allows before you start receiving royalty checks. Your cousin would receive their checks (royalty adjusted) from the date of first production.

Again, without out actually seeing the documents filed of record I cant be sure, but I think you are worried about something you need no worry about.

Dirk